My first Mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went to check on Geoffrey and he was mid molt, which was exciting. But he appears to have molted without one of his rear legs. Bummer :blush: . I don't know what I could have done to help avoid this?

He just finished molting and it looks like the leg came off during the molt. I can see it in the old exoskeleton. I'm a little worried about him developing an infection, now.

In your sponge cage, it will be unlikely. Just feed him anything but store bought crickets and mist daily, and he will be fine.

Can you post a pic of him?

Sorry about the poor quality. That's zoomed in with an iPhone 4 camera. I didn't want to reset the moist paper towels on top after I just refurbished his habitat. I'll get a better pic when I take him out for feeding in the next day or two. Hopefully I'll finally be able to accurately determine his gender after this molt, as well. If Geoffrey turns out to be a girl, I'll rename him 'Tripod.'

If you can dab alittle honey where his leg broke off. It is mildly antibacterial. Keep the humidity down acouple of days too. They love humidity.

Latest posts