My New African Giants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschind

Reaction score
Thanks to drotski's post http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?/topic/37485-i-am-getting-an-invert-i-once-disliked/ (well, I'm not sure if I should thank him or blame him :D ) I just received 3 A. gigas from Ward science.  2 really nice sized specimens, though I don't think they were quite as big as the one he had in his pictures but all three nice and healthy looking and I think well worth the money.  The two bigger ones have already done a couple of shows and as always the kids love them.  I guess I could ask my boss to reimburse me for them but then they would technically be his so I'll bite the bullet and do without a little more of my tax refund.

agigas1.jpg

agigas2.jpg

agigas3.jpg

agigas4.jpg

agigas5.jpg

I take my pinned insect collection and several giant millipedes and hissers to several local schools every April. I put 8 large boxes of pinned insects on tables and the kids take a long look and ask questions. Then they take a seat and I bring out the millipedes. They can touch and hold the pedes, but my hands are right there for the occasional drop.

I have been told this handling cause a lot of stress for the millis and leads to shorter life spans. Not sure how true that really is though. Most, if not all, deaths seem to be easily attributed to my care/caging problems.

That is excellent that you share your knowledge with kids! Where were you when I was little?!

I bet the kids love the live creatures. I think they have a more powerful effect on the kids than the dead bugs.