Need looking into

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benayla

Reaction score
I bought a male Hierodula Membranacea for my female, NaruHina a while ago. But looking closely at them in the same cage, I'm not entirely sure of Duncan's gender. So here is a picture. 

I got Duncan from Mantis Place, and was even told this insect was a male. But I just to be absolutely sure.  

Looks like it could be a female, however I can't quite tell, can you possibly get a clearer pic of the underside segments?

It also looks like this mantis is doing upside down pushups.  Can you confirm this as well?

Picture is pretty blurry, but the mantis looks nice and trim. If it is a girl she would put on weight fast with some feedings, but it sounds like you have already had the mantis long enough to rule that out. If this mantis was older/adult when you got it I can't see you having gotten the wrong one from Mantis Place as that isn't the sort of mistake Rebecca would make.

Picture is pretty blurry, but the mantis looks nice and trim. If it is a girl she would put on weight fast with some feedings, but it sounds like you have already had the mantis long enough to rule that out. If this mantis was older/adult when you got it I can't see you having gotten the wrong one from Mantis Place as that isn't the sort of mistake Rebecca would make.
Duncan was a sub adult when I got him. I thought my phone's camera was better than that, maybe I spray the cage too much....

Duncan was a sub adult when I got him. I thought my phone's camera was better than that, maybe I spray the cage too much....
Females get a noticeable ovipositor in their later instars. Adults should really be pretty easy to sex when you have both to compare. If you google sexing mantises you will likely find multiple sites Such as This One that have comparison photos.

I have to say even with the blurry picture, it looks to be a boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure that is a male, he is very thin compared to females who have much thicker abdomens

Latest posts