New kinds of feeders for mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
Hello. I have some thoughts about new sources of food for mantises. Here are some of my un organized notes:

I am in North Carolina and I have seen large evergreen oaks here that look similar to Laurel oaks. And I was wondering if those evergreen oaks would be a good source of food for butterflies or moths through winter. Or even walking sticks. Black berries are also a good source of food for walkingsticks, and the black berries in the ditches will keep their leaves through the winter, but often black berries will loose their leaves here in the winter.

I was also interested in breeding small butterflies for feeding Toxodera beieri. I have been told that Toxodera beieri doesn't take flies well, so they need butterflies to eat.

I am breeding lesser wax moths for feeding small mantises instead of flies. I am trying to figure out how to breed lesser wax moths at a faster rate because so far they don't breed super fast. They don't eat though once they are adult so are convenient to just leave alone for a week or more in the mantis containers without the wax moth starving and having to throw in more feeders again into the mantis container.

I got my lesser wax moths from my honeybee colonies. I am also using honeybees to feed my mantises. But they attack and sting my mantises and the bees are so aggressive that they even attack the dead insects and debris in the containers.

Bees are said to be nutritious for Orchid mantises and helping with egg bound condition and fertility in Orchid mantises.

I might be able to trap drones though which don't sting because they are larger than the workers. We have pollen year round even through winter here in North Carolina, so if fed sugar syrup they may produce drones through winter. And I could keep the bee colonies inside my room with a pipe to send the bees out through a baffle through the window.

There are traps that are slits at the entrance of the bee hive that allows smaller workers to pass through, but keeps makes the drones get stuck and congregate outside the entrance for easier harvesting of drones.

Have you tried black lighting for moths? You can get cheap bulbs on Amazon and shine them on a white sheet to attract all sorts of nocturnal insects.
If you can plant mountain mint, you’ll get tons of solitary bees that are probably less aggressive than honey bees. I would harvest sparingly, though, since native bees are struggling.

Wow, that is a great idea. I haven't even thought about using a black light for attracting feeder moths. So far I have used a normal light at our porch to attract moths during the summer for feeding more picky mantises, like adult male Ghost mantises.

I may try planting some mountain mint. I have heard mint is easy grow. Does it flower through the winter to attract bees? I may not want to feed too many solitary bees though, since as you mentioned they may not be doing too well in the wild with disturbance from man and a warming climate.

Yes, a blacklight will attract significantly more bugs than a standard bulb. I use mine mainly to attract ant queens, but all sorts of insects show up.
Unfortunately, mountain mint only blooms in the summer, but, it is extremely easy to grow. Plant wisely because it can spread like crazy. Mountain mint is like crack for bees, no joke.

I was also interested in breeding small butterflies for feeding Toxodera beieri. I have been told that Toxodera beieri doesn't take flies well, so they need butterflies to eat.
I know @agent A kept a culture of cabbage loopers for a time. Maybe they could give you some tips?

I know @agent A kept a culture of cabbage loopers for a time. Maybe they could give you some tips?
That sounds promising! I will definitely send agentA a message to ask about how he cultured cabbage loopers. I could probably buy cabbage from the grocery store during the winter to feed the cabbage looper caterpillars! Thank you for the help.

Latest posts