New one...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFly

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I introduce myself, i'm Nicolas, 31 years old, and used to live in Europe, in France.

Since 4 months, and for a loooong time, i'm now in Sud-America, in French Guiana. I search mantids in the forest in order to breed them.  I actually breed Pseudoxyopsis sp., Liturgusa sp. , Stagmatoptera sp.  When I have surplus of ooths, i send them to Europe or elsewere in the world.

I search all informations about Mantids in French Guiana, so if you have informations, don't hesitate : i'm interested !

Maybe you have tips to find animals into the forest :)

I will post pictures when internet will be OK at my House.

Sorry for my english, it's sometimes not that easy to find the words :)

have a nice day

Nico

Welcome to the forum! Lucky you. Seems like you already have quite the amazing species! 

Hello Nicolas and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

I don't know of any specific species in your area, but wish you well and I'm interested to see what you'll find. :)

salut!

welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good information here, a lot of experienced people who can help you. If I'm not mistaken, Choeradodis strumaria exists in French Guiana. Good luck for your efforts.

— D.E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Welcome. I try to put here some pictures of the Liturgusa sp. that i've found. They are really difficult to keep, i have had 2 deads on my 8 mantids since i've them. One thing was good, as you see on the pictures below...one small nice ooth.

@River Dane, yes, we have Choeradodis here in French guiana. A co-worker from me live into the forest, and in the dry season, he has some in his garden...i'll be there a lot during this period :D .

Here is the list of species that occurs here ...80...! I've senn 4... :)

Acanthopidae

[*]Acontiothespinae

[*]Callibia

[*]Paratithrone

[*]Raptrix

[*]Tithrone

Chaeteessidae

Liturgusidae

Mantidae

[*]Choeradodinae

[*]Photininae

[*]Stagmatopterinae

[*]Stagmomantinae

Mantoididae

Thespidae

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Hello McFly and welcome! 

WOW!  I was just posting the other day trying to find out what kind of mantid this was, and the good folks here helped me figure out it was a Liturgusa.  Such a cool mantid!  And here you are with your own pictures of one that you went out and found in the forest.  Just wow.

I would like to shake your hand sir.

Wow!! Like a biologist i always wanted to do a trip like that. Im new on mantis and i would love to see photos of all that species are you finding.

Greetings.

Thanks everybody ! I have to say that it's a really interesting period of my life, to live here... But you have to know, when you walk into the forest for like 4/5 hours, you see maybe one or two mantis, it's very difficult.

But I go a lot into the forest, so now, i've found like 8 species....:)

You found this in france?

IMG-20181021-WA0003.thumb.jpg.83cc899a2b8afc26a4e02828f0996086.jpg

On what places you can find mantids there? Maybe i can go for a try when i am on vacation again in France

Hi,

@Little MantisYes i've found it in France, but in French Guiana, so....between Brazil and Suriname. You can come here for vacation, but you will need a plane :) !

@AristalochiaYes, our field work helps a bit, but it still very difficult to find the species. And all species are not found in both sex....

For now, we have had the chance to see :

Acanthops sp (probably falcataria and tuberculata)70
        Callibia diana (Stoll, 1813)
        Raptrix perspicua (Fabricius, 1787)
        Tithrone roseipennis(Saussure, 1870)
        Hagiomantis ornata (Stoll, 1813)
        Liturgusa cayennensis (Saussure, 1869)
        Liturgusa mesopoda (Westwood, 1889)
        Angela guianensis (Rehn, 1906)
        Angela maxima
        Choeradodis sp
        Macromantis sp
        Metriomantis sp
        Microphotina sp
        Oxyopsis sp
        Stagmatoptera flavipennis (Serville, 1839)
        Stagmatoptera biocelatta  [first time in FG]
        Vates sp
        Zoolea sp
        Macromusonia sp
        Musonia lineata (Chopard, 1912)

Very less species have been seen in adult, that is why i usually write "sp". And even for adults, it's so difficult to define the exact species !

Latest posts