Non native Liturgusa maya found again Florida. Communal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrayingMantisPets

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I went out again to observe liturgusa maya in south Florida.

I wanted to learn more about their behavior, what they eat, how they act etc.

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

Now further observation ive noticed 2 on the same fence post. I believe they are communal. as pictured below. I have seen 3 together too!

IMG_5873 (1).PNG

Very nice. What city is that in? An urban area?

davie florida. Im so curious about this species. as far as i know no one has been able to successfully captivate them.
Some species are difficult and bark mantids are hard to house. They often climb to lids, hang themselves from the back legs and die.

Some species are difficult and bark mantids are hard to house. They often climb to lids, hang themselves from the back legs and die.
funny how you mention that, i have one leaning back on the top of a lid

I have them in a 20 gal fish tank, standing vertically 20 inches. two walls are 100% cork.

Last edited:
Ive found out that large trunks in the enclose do the trick. 2-3in in diameter. they love it. they are communal.

I went with other user on here Ryan, and we noticed numerous nymphs on the same trunk. sometimes seeing 5+ on the same tree. They love going up high too and lay their ooths up to 10ft in trees!

Latest posts