OGIGA's Mantis Mini-gallery

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ogiga, that's kind of small for the first ootheca but i don't believe she's underfed. You can still expect around 30-50 nymphs running around the cage by next month. Try to feed her more flying insects of various kind with pollen and honey, it might help in producing larger ooth. I can see more orchid being bred here in the US now which is great. :D
I was surprised when I found her laying an ootheca because she was really skinny at the time. She hadn't eaten/attacked food for about a week prior. Right now, she's eating everything again. :) Maybe the trick is to load them up while they eat, huh?

By the way, does mating her again increase fertility?

Ogiga, that's kind of small for the first ootheca but i don't believe she's underfed. You can still expect around 30-50 nymphs running around the cage by next month. Try to feed her more flying insects of various kind with pollen and honey, it might help in producing larger ooth. I can see more orchid being bred here in the US now which is great. :D
I was surprised when I found her laying an ootheca because she was really skinny at the time. She hadn't eaten/attacked food for about a week prior. Right now, she's eating everything again. :) Maybe the trick is to load them up while they eat, huh?

By the way, does mating her again increase fertility?
I don't think so.

Ah so she was kind of underfed, that make sense.

remating wouldn't affect the hatching rate for the first 3-4 ootheca, but after 6-7 ootheca, remating apparently can increase the hatching rate again. But this is true only if your orchid mantis is always being kept at top notch since the quality of the ootheca deteriorate for the last few.

Went home for the weekend and found a little friend.

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

Also found something I hate. Anybody want to buy her? I think it's a her...

IMG_1783.JPG

It sure would be cool to be able to find mantids outside. We have -40 celsius sometimes in the winter and hot dry summers, which doesn't seem to make any want to move here (Camrose, Alberta)! Your pictures are, as always, fun. When you find a mantis in the wild, how does "he" first react? (I always get a kick out of running). Also, how is the ootheca orchid style? :)

Very nice pictures. I like the pink eyes :) . How long was your adult female Stagmomantis californica?

she is cute. Has a lot of green like my female but yours has pinker eyes.

Thanks. My Stagmomantis californica is about 2.5 inches long. She's getting really weak and I don't know how much longer she'll live. Seems like she's extremely fat but she hasn't laid an ootheca for a bit over 2 weeks. I hope those eggs aren't stuck inside her...

Here's my last stagmomantis californica. Even though she's already fat like crazy, she ate another 4 crickets. Now she's really having trouble climbing.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

in reference to your Orchids, Ogiga, I'll say what my neighbor's kid said when he came over to play with my nephews and saw my little orchids at L2..."OOOHH!! Khori! They are so cute I just wanna to kiss em!!! I'm not kidding I just wanna kiss em!!"

Then I said to him in the tiny Orhcid voice, "You kiss me and I'll give ya such a PINCH!!" :evil:

Right before my last stagmomantis californica died, I found some more outside. :) I found this guy as a subadult (L6) in my backyard. Now he's an adult (since August 26)!

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

I also found a subsubadult (L6) female earlier who became an adult just this morning (August 27). :)

It's been forever since I last added pictures. Here it goes again!

This perverted male mantis mated with both of these females twice. :lol:

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

And finally, I let you all know that I have a bunch of awesome orchid mantises. They've recently become L2. The cameras never do them justice!!

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

I just know that someone wants to buy them... so here's the thread.

While I'm at it, I might as well photograph the L1's while they're still L1. I think this one lost an antenna and he/she is already getting tired of his/her old exoskeleton.

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

Note: I am not advertising that iPod. Apple doesn't pay me and I do not support Apple. :rolleyes:

Latest posts