old newbie and glad to be here

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppy44

Reaction score
Had an egg case hatch during school in 5th grade. Before inter net and not much care info available. Now 59yrs later I have the time, space, and available knowledge to keep and breed these beautiful insects. Enjoyed breeding and learning about killiefish for 40 yrs or so. But age and weight of water have halted that itch to learn, enjoy, and care for tropical fish. But now - Wow- had all but forgotten these fascination insects. I do think these will not be a weight problem for a bad back. Least not till I try to catch the runaways under the table or desk. LOL

Looking forward to learning and sharing info and stock.

Steven Z     -Zeppy44

Hello Steven and welcome to the forum
wave2.gif

Weight is a non issue with this hobby, even the large cricket/roach feeder cultures do not come close to a tank full of water.

I hear you though, and the reason I had to give up my arcade cabinet machines (300+ pounds each) and our various aquatic frogs and related. After frequent moving after college, and running out of friends willing to help me pack around such heavy loads (usually to/from a upstairs apartment) I had to sell them off.

I haven't had any runaways more than a foot away, but accidental ooths (ootheca) hatching has been a issue for me. ;) I had one ooth that I thought I had another month to go, but it hatched all over my desk (about 80+ nymphs). I then had another that I thought was a old ooth that I found outside that turned out it was still good, and they covered my bookcase (about 40 nymphs). The most recent was from my Phidippus jumper female that hatched about 3 dozen little spiderlings that simply escaped through the habitat aluminum mesh ventilation.

Thankfully each time it is more of a nuisance than anything else, and usually they all are caught in a few hours time.