Omomantis zebrata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katnapper

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very excited to report the largest of 6 Omomantis zebrata nymphs I've been raising has molted to adult. He's a male and is beautiful! More information and pics in my blog.

But I'm curious if anyone else is currently keeping or breeding these?

Omomantis zebrata adult male

Dec09_35_Katnapper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, Katt! :D You were told that it wouldn't arrive, that if it did arrive, it wouldn't hatch, and if it hatched, it wasn't O. zebrata. I guess that you weren't paying attention! Great job!

Hi

Congratulations, Becky! That is very nice to hear you really recieved and have some Omomantis. Good luck with them.

regards

hopefully you got some mating pairs and can start getting this species into culture eventually!

He looks awesome. Hope you find some females and get the culture going.

Congratulations, Katt! :D You were told that it wouldn't arrive, that if it did arrive, it wouldn't hatch, and if it hatched, it wasn't O. zebrata. I guess that you weren't paying attention! Great job!
I think I got lucky for once! :p Let's just hope that my luck holds out with this species.

Niiiice! Hopefully you get a couple of females too!
I have at least 2 female nymphs now.

HiCongratulations, Becky! That is very nice to hear you really recieved and have some Omomantis. Good luck with them.

regards
Thank you, Tier! I am pleasantly surprised by the way things have turned out so far.

wow...how big do they grow?
This male is about the same size as a male Phyllovates chlorophaea.

He's a looker.
Thanks, Rick!

He looks awesome. Hope you find some females and get the culture going.
I already have at least 2 females, though they are still nymphs at this stage. I'm hoping the rest of the bunch catch up in time to mate.

More pics in case you don't care to look at blogs. ;)

Omomantis zebrata adult male

Dec09_50_Katnapper.jpg

Dec09_27_Katnapper.jpg

Omomantis zebrata female nymph

Dec09_61_Katnapper.jpg

She has little blue patches by her mouth (also apparent on the male, but not as much)

Dec09_3_Katnapper.jpg

What is the story behind them?
These are from the ooth/s I received from Frey back at the end of August that hatched in the post, killing most of them. Seven or eight nymphs came out of it stable, which I've been raising. I lost one to a mismolt, and another to cannibalism; but hope to raise the other 5 nymphs to adult and of course attempt to breed them.

Very lovely pic's! :) I like the males wing pattern.
Yes, me too, Paul! I'm hoping the females turn out as lovely as adults.

Great pics Kat, thanks for posting, i don't know anyone in the UK that has them. One member on another forum thought he had a zebrata ooth earlier this year but he got scammed, fingers crossed for the breeding ;)

I've got a good few adult pairs of these stunning looking mantids. :)

The first pair mated six days ago and this morning I noticed a lovely ooth.

I hope to hear the pitter patter in a month or so time.

:rolleyes:

Latest posts