One very old Religiosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
imagem045ib.jpg

imagem049r.jpg

This female has beaten all my expectations for longevity. Sure there are mantis species that can live 1 year or more and I wish I could afford those. But for a Religiosa I think it's incredible. Hopefully she will reach February.

The old age abdomen infections have recently started to emerge so I don't think she will make it for much longer.

One question: can mantids stop producing eggs? She stopped laying for over a month and I was expecting her to die because of excessive swelling of the abdomen and eventual organ failure or even bursting open. But she kept that size since Christmas! Apart from being heavy she still seems to be doing fine.

She still has appetite and hunts. She even tries to hunt down my finger whenever I touch her antennae. She only takes one bite or two of a grasshopper and drops the rest. When she sees the grasshopper moving she attempts to grab it again. She is hungry but she can't eat more. She also drinks a lot, as expected.

Dom,

I am happily experiencing the same with my very old Tenodera sinensis, Nikki Mantis. She lost all her tarsi and one tibia long ago (from normal aging) so climbing is very difficult - but she continues to do her best. I found her as a wild adult in September. I'm guessing she might be about seven to eight months old. She still has a hearty appetite, although I have to provide a cricket in close proximity to her. Generally I place her in a clean, dry bathroom sink with the cricket. The crix keeps sliding down the porcelain toward a waiting Nikki. She very much prefers to be held. And you're so right about watering. They really need a lot at this age (I wonder why?). I hand feed her distilled H2O two times a day. If I forget a watering, she gulps like a drunken sailor on the next application. How often are you feeding your girl?

my sally mantis was very old as well when she died. digger is correct she drank lots and lots of water. i just hand fed her until the end. good luck with your mantis.

Digger,

What impresses me the most is that my female still has 3 back legs intact! That's what surprised me the most. Unlike yours, mine doesn't tolerate being held much. She's aggressive and it's a pain to convince her to climb on to my hand.

I feed her only once every 3 to 4 days. Not because she isn't hungry but because she can barely hold any food in her stomach with such a plump abdomen. She is hungry everyday and does try to eat once or twice but then she drops her meal.

Sticky,

My mantis is 8 months old

Some just are crazy awesome like this,I have an asian female,who has no toes left,is always ooth heavy,and she actually still gets up on her sticks. She is probably over the year mark now or close but she just keeps going,the wild chinese female I caught and kept this year was the same way,built to last,always laying an ooth like clockwork,they are beyond impressive things,nice to see such longevity in this species as well :)

Well this is kind off awkward... Just the day after starting this topic, my female's health started to deteriorate fast. There goes my expectations.... :(

Latest posts