Ooth ID

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristalochia

Reaction score
So I got an ootheca last week from some guy that appears to be misslabled. A second ooth has arrived and I would like to know if this one looks right to you. It came labled as lobata. It looks like pictures of Gongylous oothecae to me.

And just incase anyone has some thoughts on this one, it was labled as Hymenopus and from photos I looked up, this one looks like Deroplatys othecae

And for size comparison here it is beside a Miomantis and an Idolomantis ootheca.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
20171110_100747.jpg
^are you saying this one was labeled deroplatys lobata^

^And this one a orchid ooth?^

cause ive had a orchid ooth and its long and skinny. 

Hey PrayingMantisPets, yes thats what they were labled.

The seller also had Gongylous and Phyllocrania listed so I thought perhaps he mixed them up. All Hymenopus ootheca I've seen are long and skinny but this ootheca is short n wide.. I told him it doesnt look right to me and was told,"It was laid strangely and hung in a weird position hence the slightly different look." 

Hibiscusmile, yeah here's the other side

Yup, agreed. Asked about that in another post. He insists they are accurately identified and good..  Would you be asking for your money back or wait n see just incase? 

Deroplatys.desiccata.jpg

heres a Deroplatys lobata and its ooth. females are about 3in. in length and the ooth appears to be rather large next to the female.

OM-ootheca.jpg

here is a orchid ooth long and skinny. Ive had one myself and it looked exactly like this picture above.

Can you post pics of the ooths next to rulers? Cause to me these ooths are not what they are labeled as.

yen_saw okay, thanks.

PrayingMantisPets, I dont have a ruler but I added a pic to my first post in this thread, showing other oothecae to compare it with, and I have this to give you better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts