Oothecae ???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugmeso

Reaction score
Can females produce an ootheca and not be pregnant? I had 2 females produce 5 ootheca's and it has been 7 weeks and nothing is happening.

They can produce and lay an ooth without being fertile, but they won't hatch... I've heard of rare cases where unfertilized eggs hatched, but it's not supposed to happen. The only confirmed parthenogenic (no males in the species whatsoever) species is Brunneria Borealis. Of you waited 7 weeks for these to hatch, then you've wasted your time.

Yep, females will produce oothecae even if they haven't mated. It is the same way hens will lay eggs even if they haven't mated. Also in case your interested, the plural form for ootheca is oothecae.

The little Egyptian mantis will lay ooths that hatch little clones. It is called parthenogenonsis. I think I spelled it right! Anyway, her ooths will hatch even if she doesnt mate. There are few others that do too.

The little Egyptian mantis will lay ooths that hatch little clones. It is called parthenogenonsis. I think I spelled it right! Anyway, her ooths will hatch even if she doesnt mate. There are few others that do too.
Really? I read the American Stick Mantis is the only confirmed species to reproduce this way. I'll do more research of my own, but if you're correct, then I'd love to get my hands on this species.So after further research, I found the Egyptian Pygmy Mantis will reproduce parthenogenicly IF no males are present, and that hatchlings are all female and weaker than fertilized hatchlings. But there are males in the species, and mating is common. I do believe that Brunneria Borealis is the only true parthenogenic species, only having females.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a female Egyption and she made babies without a male. She was cute! And the nymphs were SO tiny!

Another common parthenogenesis species is Mediterranean Mantis (Iris oratoria), lots of examples online. Also there are many scientific studies published of the Mantis religiosa (European mantis) where it can commonly do parthenogenesis as well depending on various conditions.

From all the various searches I've done on mantids there are 6 or 7 known species that can do parthenogenesis, however rare it may actually be. In reality the species count would likely be much higher - as how many infertile ooths are actually incubated (especially those of varying conditions) and the mothers are verified/raised to test the outcomes.

Latest posts