Ooths in Christmas trees

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleyandbecky

Reaction score
I keep hearing and reading about people that find ooths in their Christmas trees. It has been years since we had a fresh cut Christmas tree, but there is a wonderful tree farm about 40 minutes away that we might go to this year. They have all kinds of trees.

Is there any particular kind of Christmas tree that is more likely to have an ooth? I'm figuring something with thinner branches. Anyone? I'd love to bring home some holiday ooths! :lol: I'd probably stay at the tree farm forever until I found one.

Rebecca

Any kind could. If you really want to find an ooth it would be easier to just go to a weedy area.

The first year I was into mantids, I was helping my dad cut down the tree and found a chinese ooth on the bottom :lol: . That could have been bad if it hatched in the house.

Good luck in your search!

The first year I was into mantids, I was helping my dad cut down the tree and found a chinese ooth on the bottom :lol: . That could have been bad if it hatched in the house.Good luck in your search!
Hi,

For years commercial tree farmers have been harvesting them from there trees and selling them on the open market. That is one of the reasons they where brought into the United States. I see quite a few Ooth wind up on E-bay. Anywhere from $4.00 to $10.00 each spring.

Regards

If you do go to a tree farm, just ask the merchant/owner about them. They might have a stock of them they keep back from picking them off, and would sell or maybe even give you some. ;)

Any kind could. If you really want to find an ooth it would be easier to just go to a weedy area.
I know...I just thought it would thrill the kids to bring home a Christmas tree with an ooth. One of them is REALLY getting into the mantids and that would tickle her to death to find one in a tree. :)

Reviving my old thread to let you all know that yes, my children got their wish...a Carolina ooth in our Christmas tree. My plan was to go through all the trees looking for one, but we had a heavy, heavy rain yesterday and we just grabbled the first tree that looked the right size and shape.

Today, when my husband was putting it in the stand, he found an ooth. My little Christmas wish, and the kids are thrilled, as I knew they would be.

Rebecca

Latest posts