Orchid Sex?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clearly see 7 segments. Right below your number 1 there is a segment.

orchids can be hard to sex when small.
Looks to me like i may just have to wait another shed then, i know both Katnapper and Rick seem to be very experienced, and i would have taken either of your answers as correct with out a question, again many thanks for taking the time to look and try and figure this out for me.

Looks to me like i may just have to wait another shed then, i know both Katnapper and Rick seem to be very experienced, and i would have taken either of your answers as correct with out a question, again many thanks for taking the time to look and try and figure this out for me.
Never hurts to wait another molt. I was trying to look at mine the other day with a magnifying glass. I gave that up pretty quick. :lol:

I still see 7 segments but the notch is pretty defined. I seem to be the only one saying male which probably means my eyes are not what they used to be. B)

Never hurts to wait another molt. I was trying to look at mine the other day with a magnifying glass. I gave that up pretty quick. :lol:
I agree. ;)

I bought a pair of :blink: strength reading glasses to keep in the bug room, thinking that would help me. But it's just not the same as a macro lens or waiting until they're past the point of youth that it's not so ambiguous.

I see the 7 seven segments you see, Rick. ;) The end or tip segment is kind of the kicker for me. I think that big one I've labeled "5" is the one in the female that (currently in his specimen) overtakes the smaller ones at the tip to become the last large segment. And if so, it would make the segment count 5 or 6, depending on where you start counting from (I also see the segment you see below the "1"). I think some people include that one in the count, and some don't... which is where you get the "females = 5 or 6, males 7 or 8). But even if you include that one, it would still be 6 to how I see it.

Phreeze, your pics were perfectly taken to include the view needed to sex. It would help if they were a bit better resolution; and also it would help if the specimen was another molt older to be able to determine with more confidence. But a view of the "side of the tip of the abdomen" is not needed, and would not help.

But a view of the "side of the tip of the abdomen" is not needed, and would not help.
yeah huh. the ovipositer is most visible from the side. see:

mantis.jpg

This is why newbies should not give advice since females have six segments. It appears to be a male to me but we need better pics of the underside or you need to wait until they get bigger.
girls have 6-7.

even my giant shield has 7 and shes laying an ootheca right now! :lol:

Latest posts