Oxyopsis gracilis ooth's

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychobunny

Reaction score
I am new to this species so was surprise to see a small ooth in with one of my oxy's because she

is so small!!

The ooth was on a branch and about the size of a chick pea and impossible to remove.

So, having a male on hand, I decided to mate her, which was succesful (I think) and took about 18 hours

they were connected before she finally ate him!!

With the ooth so small, how many nymphs can I expect from it?

I guess the hatchlings will be really tiny too!!??

The female of this species is one of the cutest little mantids I have ever seen.

They are also very active.

The males dont particularly thrill me, but I love the females.

I will try to post a pic of her today (grocery shopping first!! ).

How long does it take a oxy ooth to hatch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly my oxy females laid many ooths....she laid one very small about the same size as yours...only one I left it in the cage...up untill last sunday when i cleaned it out to rebuild it for one of my idolos...when i found 6 tiny nymphs in it from the ooth

that tiny ooth took about 5 weeks...my other bigger ones have still not hatched yet...but some of the ones I sent out to others have hatched about 1-2 weeks ago right about 6 weeks for a typical size ooth for them it seems.

My Oxy female ( now dead) laid about six oothecae before she died. Four of them have hatched and they average about 40 nymphs per ooth and they are 5/16" x 1/2" on average in size. 5-6 weeks seems about right for hathing time. They can always be peeled off carefully from the mesh of my enclosures.

Ooth should be a little larger than that. Not by much though. You can expect anywhere from 30-80 nymphs. 40 average. Make sure you feed here enough. They are aggressive eaters. Females can handle an adult cricket. Feed until she is nice and plump. She'll give you an ooth about every 2 weeks. My females have laid 10+ ooths. Incubation is about 40-45 days.

I just had an ooth hatch a few days ago if anyone is looking for nymphs or ooths PM me.

mine lays big ooths

feed her lots of large insects, mine at an adult male dubia once :eek:
Well, she ate her mate, so I guess that's a large insect !LOL!

She is only an inch or so long, tiny head, and a bit crazy!!

Her little ooth was wedged into the crotch of a twig and I tryied to free it but didnt bother

to try very hard since I knew it was not futile.

That was when I remembered I had a male, even smaller, and skinny. But he went to work

very shortly after I put him in her cage. They were at it all night and the next morning, but

when I checked on them at about noon, I saw her finishing off the last of him!!....BURRRRRP!!!

Ooth should be a little larger than that. Not by much though. You can expect anywhere from 30-80 nymphs. 40 average. Make sure you feed here enough. They are aggressive eaters. Females can handle an adult cricket. Feed until she is nice and plump. She'll give you an ooth about every 2 weeks. My females have laid 10+ ooths. Incubation is about 40-45 days.

I just had an ooth hatch a few days ago if anyone is looking for nymphs or ooths PM me.
Henry, out of curiosity, how much do you charge for these?

How big are they at L2? I would guess very tiny!

They are fairly large nymphs. L1s can take Hydei. I'll PM you on the price.
Hi Henry got question thought I would Ask a Oxy Pro like you BTW you Message box is full. My Female Oxy is currently L6 very close I'll have a chance to mate them .

I found this on the site not sure if the info is correct for Oxy

it says after mating 1-6 days the female will start to lay ooth . and last 4-8 days does that mean with in 4-8 days after mating the female will lay 10-13 Ooth in 4-8 days ??? I'm not sure about that if and can answer me will be very help full

Thank you .

Ooths First building 1- 6 days after copulation

Period 4- 8 days

Number 10- 13

Size 1cm- 1,5cm

Shape roundish

Color lightbrown

Hi Henry got question thought I would Ask a Oxy Pro like you BTW you Message box is full. My Female Oxy is currently L6 very close I'll have a chance to mate them .

I found this on the site not sure if the info is correct for Oxy

it says after mating 1-6 days the female will start to lay ooth . and last 4-8 days does that mean with in 4-8 days after mating the female will lay 10-13 Ooth in 4-8 days ??? I'm not sure about that if and can answer me will be very help full
Thanks for the heads up on the mailbox.

Anyone that says a female will lay within a certain time after mating is guessing. What it really depends on is how long she has been adult and how much food she's been able to get. Once your girl is adult give her a large cricket every day or two until she is nice and fat. Once full slow down on crickets or give her smaller prey like flies. You don't want to overstuff them so pace it. Usually takes them at least 2 weeks to get nice and plump. Then you can try to breed her. If you try before that there is a very good chance the male will get eaten. No telling how long she will wait to lay but sometimes within hours of mating. If conditions are no to their liking they can hold off. They like to lay on a flat surface. I've only ever had one lay on a branch.

I think the info you posted was trying to say:

Period 4- 8 days (between ooths?)

Number 10- 13 (in their lifetime)

Mine have averaged 12-14 days between ooths and lay about 10-12. Incubation is about 45 days.

the large L1 r soooo cute!! :wub:

my female is gettin old and layin ooths less frequently (now every 3 weeks instead of every 2)

when can expect the L1 to molt for the first time?

thanx :D

Thanks for the heads up on the mailbox.

Anyone that says a female will lay within a certain time after mating is guessing. What it really depends on is how long she has been adult and how much food she's been able to get. Once your girl is adult give her a large cricket every day or two until she is nice and fat. Once full slow down on crickets or give her smaller prey like flies. You don't want to overstuff them so pace it. Usually takes them at least 2 weeks to get nice and plump. Then you can try to breed her. If you try before that there is a very good chance the male will get eaten. No telling how long she will wait to lay but sometimes within hours of mating. If conditions are no to their liking they can hold off. They like to lay on a flat surface. I've only ever had one lay on a branch.

I think the info you posted was trying to say:

Period 4- 8 days (between ooths?)

Number 10- 13 (in their lifetime)

Mine have averaged 12-14 days between ooths and lay about 10-12. Incubation is about 45 days.
Thanks Henry Great Info to know

Latest posts