Partenogenesis???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butlittlegood

Reaction score
Hi to all, i have one question....I have a european female mantis that has produced one ooth but has not been mated....

is parthenogenesis?Is possible...

sorry for my bad english!And thanks for all reply!

Yeah it is possible in some species, a load of mantids lay infertile ooths but some species are truely parthenogenetic and dont have any males while some species which i cant remember can lay an ooth inamted that may hatch a very small amount of weak nymphs

It's only seen by:

Brunneria borealis and subatera, miomantis spp, prasphendale affinis, sphodromantis viridis, and tenodera sinensis.

Put it this way you cant have a reliable and healthy culture through parthenogenesis for most of them :)

There are no known cases in Tenodera, Sphodromantis or Parasphendale.

An obligate parthenogenetic (males unknown) is Brunneria borealis.

Facultative parthenogenesis (with nymphs in various degrees of fitness, but with at least a few surviving) is found in Miomantis paykullii, M. savignyi, Mantis religiosa, Brunneria subaptera, Eumusonia livida and a few others.

sometime phartenogenesis shows up at some spieces.
It can happen with Iris Oratoria also. I have been keeping them for years and years and didn't know this until about a year ago. I usually throw all infertile ooths out and last year I kept all the infertile ooths from my 2 females. Out of about 10 ooths I ended up with 14 nymphs, a few had nothin come out and others would have 1 or 2. They seemed so weak. 13 out of 14 only lasted a few days. They started to eat but I would just find them dead. I ended up with one that shed to L2 then died about a week later. Interesting but just so weak.

The species I mentioned may well produce viable young. Sometimes there are complete parthenogenetic populations. However, there is some inter-population variation in the ability to produce viable offspring also in these species.

There are no known cases in Tenodera, Sphodromantis or Parasphendale.
There was in my house ;) I've seen it happen with S. viridis on one occasion. It was definately not mated as I had no males. The young were very weak and the hatch rate very low. I sent the remainder to Graham as I no longer wanted to breed this species.

Come to think of it, I may have seen in with Parasphendale or Cilnia humeralis, but I can't be 100% sure which :rolleyes: But considering the latter two are from the Miomantini (as is Miomantis), it does follow a 'pattern'. As Christian stated though, these are not obligate parthenogenetic species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts