Phyllocrania p. Ooth to Adult

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylersterrain

Reaction score
With my new camera, I'm going to document my first Ooth. Please feel free to critique and ask questions.

PhyllocraniapIncubator.jpg

Phyllocrania p. ootheca incubator.

Here is a quick pic of the Ooth:

PhyllocraniapOotheca.jpg

Phyllocrania p. ootheca (about one month old)

Thanks for taking a look. I will fill you guys in as to how the Ooth does.

Every ooth has hatched so far, just spray the ooth a few times every other day. I like to use sphagnum moss at the bottom holds moisture very well. you might spray that towel at the bottom everyday as well to keep it damp.

nice set up! i would keep the paper towel damp constantly and change it out when it starts to mold. what also helped me trigger the ooth to hatch was in the morning id put the container in the sunlight that was coming through my window and they all popped out within 30 minutes.

that looks like an ooth from davedood. i got one about a month back from him and now i have 40+ ghost. all still alive in L2.

Good luck!

Every ooth has hatched so far, just spray the ooth a few times every other day. I like to use sphagnum moss at the bottom holds moisture very well. you might spray that towel at the bottom everyday as well to keep it damp.
Thanks for the encouragement (and recommendations).

nice set up! i would keep the paper towel damp constantly and change it out when it starts to mold. what also helped me trigger the ooth to hatch was in the morning id put the container in the sunlight that was coming through my window and they all popped out within 30 minutes.

that looks like an ooth from davedood. i got one about a month back from him and now i have 40+ ghost. all still alive in L2.

Good luck!
This is probably the best feedback I could have got. And none of the silly forum stuff, it was just straight to the point.

No prob. Has the Ooth popped yet? And how many like ones?

No it hasn't, I'm misting properly and have good faith it will soon :) If not than I guess all I can say is darn, seeing as Davedood is a reliable breeder and I understand that not every ooth is fertile. But I can't help but be excited, as I check on it very often. So often that unless it hatches at night I will prob have pics of the hatching. A question I've had recently is: Is it better to keep the Ooth vertical? I saw a diagram recently with the slanted "egg spots" pointing inward and down (just seemed to make sense).

What is the temperature where the enclosure is at? The way you have it is perfect. Having it upside down works. It should be any day now. Just keep the humidity up in there.

Temperatures are 70 at night, around 75 during the day (I keep a desk light on for my mantids, but, its adjustable and I don't ever crank it up to where heat is too prevalent).

Latest posts