Phyllovates Chlorophaea

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you always have a better success rate than me :(
if the ootheca is fertile and you incubate it correctly, you will almost certain to get a hatch out. Luck plays a small role in hatching ootheca.

Asa, depending on what species of ootheca you have, five chinese mantis ooth hatch-out can easily outnumber all the mantis i have. :wink:

Man you always have a better success rate than me :(
if the ootheca is fertile and you incubate it correctly, you will almost certain to get a hatch out. Luck plays a small role in hatching ootheca.

Asa, depending on what species of ootheca you have, five chinese mantis ooth hatch-out can easily outnumber all the mantis i have. :wink:
I have rarer ooths than the chinese, that don't hatch out as much.

robo mantis, how did you get your hands on 60 chinese ooths?!

Well i have like 50 kids from church that like mantids and know i'm the mantis guy so they give me a whole bunch. Also i bought 50 off ebay then add them with the layed ooths that makes about 60 somthing. :D

Birds get 'em...picked off when not moving or in grass too short for them. I experience the same thing around here. But if I look in the right places I can find plenty of them.

Great job Yen! So the 'Texas unicorn' is finally in culture now! Hopefully in a few years time they will be as accessible as the h. coronatus then? You may even release some back to the wild to pump up the natural population since they are native to Texas?

Thanks Specy. Lets hope it will be more readily available in the US now, if not the world. It is a wonderful species, nicest native species i have kept so far, not including the Arizona unicorn or Yucatan mantis which i haven't had a chance to even see a live one. I will let the nymphs go as soon as they reached L2. hmmm... now should i keep them for another generation?

Releasing them in the wild here is not a good idea. THey are only been seen along southern Texas bordering Mexico area.

Hmmmm...if you keep them around another generation perhaps they will

be more plentiful in the hobby :D

Yeah Robo, i hope the hatching rate is good, so far it has been around 50-60 nymphs from each oothecae although they were inbred for this generation. the hatching rate from the wild caught female was around 40-45 nymphs (can't remember the exact number!).

Yesterday, one of the females decided to give me a challenge with her threat pose, she was not very happy with me trying to steal her ootheca away.

mad3.jpg

mad2.jpg

Latest posts