Pieris Rapae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cultured Pieris Rapae.the Small cabbage Butterfly. they are about 32mm to 48mm 1.26in to 1.89in in size. If you have a garden in Texas you will have Cabbage worms. The birds go after them so they must be tasty. Collard greens will grow year round in North TX. So I should get about 7 generation per year. I think I can make a culture for year round Butterflies. any thoughts would be welcomed.

I've kept them before and it should be possible if you have plants of the genus Brassica year-round. The chrysalids diapause in cool weather and it might be difficult to get the butterflies to mate without a large net cage outdoors in which they can fly freely without dispersing.

Lol, I am keeping hundreds of them right that I have found as eggs (mostly) and caterpillars in the garden and they are extremely easy to raise (never got them to mate though, but very close). Just give them a good amount of brocolli or cabbage and they'll eat and grow in 2 weeks or less and emerge in about 1-2 weeks too. Never had molting issues, random deaths, etc., but beware of pesticides so either buy organic food plants or pick them (if your willing). I had nearly my entire batch of them killed off when I accidently made this mistake.

But overall, yes, they are very easy to keep but I don't know how good they are for the mantd. They shouldn't be too hard to find--any brocolli plant out there shuold have at least 10 eggs and maybe even a couple larvae. Check every week they should should build up again.

Latest posts