Planted Terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhill

Reaction score
Hi Guys,   My main love in life is Horticulture and Orchids which is why I got the Hymenopus coronatus.  Im planning on creating a live tank with ferns, orchids and water movement. I know ponds can cause a drowning hazard for the Mantids. At the moment Ive got artificial flowers and leaves with twigs and branches which I sterilized. Due to the daily misting Im finding that the branches mainly are starting to form mould after about 3 days, the twigs arnt too bad and obviously the plastic is ok. Do you guys use the expensive aquarium wood or stick to the artificial plastic stuff. In my book it says that creating the live plant thing is just too much trouble. Has anyone out there created a live plant terrarium and if so can you give me any tips? 

It sounds like you're interested in bio-active vivariums - NEHERP has excellent guides explaining the essential components that make them work so well: http://www.neherpetoculture.com/vivcaremenu

I have several and I think they are absolutely worth it. It's definitely more work and can be a lot more expensive than sticking to artificial stuff depending how far off the deep end you go in terms of tech... but sort of like a fish aquarium it's very rewarding.

What kind of wood are you using? Certain types of wood like grape branches can't handle moisture at all and will mold. NEHERP describes what kind of wood is good for which environments in their Vivarium101 guide... you can also use fake vines which I like a lot too.

We are working on a bioactive vivarium. So far no mold problems (using dwarf white isopods and springtails) but we have been having troubles keeping the plants happy. It is a bit hard to find the balance of heat, light, humidity, and soil moisture to be within the range for the mantis and also keep the plants healthy, but we are going to keep at it. I think it will be worth it. 

I do have over 10 years experience with climate control, pumps, lights, temp , humidity , ventilation etc.. with the Horticulture but doing it on a much smaller scale in tanks using live animals is a whole new thing to me but I find the idea of it highly exciting. Its the same game but from a different angle and Im thrilled I discovered the Mantid interest. You guys are the only other people I have spoken to so far that do this and its great to chat with folks from America, Canada, Holland.... Worldwide business   yes yes! 

I do have over 10 years experience with climate control, pumps, lights, temp , humidity , ventilation etc.. with the Horticulture but doing it on a much smaller scale in tanks using live animals is a whole new thing to me but I find the idea of it highly exciting. Its the same game but from a different angle and Im thrilled I discovered the Mantid interest. You guys are the only other people I have spoken to so far that do this and its great to chat with folks from America, Canada, Holland.... Worldwide business   yes yes! 
The size is one thing we are having troubles with. It is hard to keep enough moisture in the substrate to be released slowly when heat pads on the bottom or back cause it to evaporate quickly. Then the humidity spikes and  tapers off since the substrate gets dry. It seems like larger enclosures would be easier to keep stable. We are  going to experiment with deeper substrate to hopefully help moisture be released over more time.

Keep me updated on your progress Ohaple, Im just working the project out in my head for now but that site that Rantology suggested seems pretty informative. As Im not online at home I only have limited net time but Ill print it all out and study it.   Im thinking Im going to practice with the finished creation first, when I make it, and get the climate spot on before I add the precious Mantids.  Peace!

Latest posts