poisonous foods for feeders

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuwu

Reaction score
besides carrots, is there any other fruit/vegetable that i shouldn't be feeding to be feeder roaches? i know carrots contain a natural pesticide that could potentially be poisonous to mantids.

I have heard this statement on a few occasions now. I've been breeding inverts for over a decade and these are the first claims I have ever heard to this effect.

Does anyone have any scientific literature to back this up, or is it yet another 'internet' myth ? :wink:

i did a little big of research and the natural pesticide is called falcarinol. it protects carrots from fungal diseases but i can't find anything on their effects on insects.

fyi, falcarinol also helps prevent cancer! so eat more carrots guys!

I used lobster roach which fed on carrots before, my adult ghost mantis puked as a result, and I lost some budwing nymphs too. But the adult ghost managed to recover. If they were smaller nymphs, most likely they won't make it. I didn't try on another mantis species but definately not going to use carrot for any feeders.