Possible nymph molting issue?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsterrarium

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just noticed my new tiny nymph molted and I sure hope I didn't disturb him/her in the process but it looks like she's already done except for one little problem. When I took her out a little while ago I realized the molt was stuck to her back leg and she was dragging it around with her. She's behaving normally for the most part but it's making her walk awkwardly and dragging it along. I doubt she would be interested in hunting right now but so long as she can get her food I think she'll be okay. I incredibly carefully cut away a little of bit of the molt with a scissors but I didn't get much of it and don't want to risk hurting her. I know that even if she loses the leg she'll be fine and it will grow back after another molt or two but at her tiny size should I be concerned at all? I misted in her jar a little bit before I put her back in hoping humidity would help get rid of it. She's essentially dragging around a slightly smaller version of herself which can't be easy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Her tiny size is going to make it a mire challenging for you to hardly anything! 

I would assume it would be okay.. You could try to dampen it with a damp Q tip and try gently rub it off lightly...? ..Probably wait for some others to respond too. ?Hmmm...
It's definitely a good idea worth considering and I did mist earlier. I'll wait a day or two and mist some more and if it's still a problem I'll try and find at least something to do to get most of it off. I'll see if she wants some fruit flies tomorrow or the next day.

You can always trim as much off as possible and the remaining exuviae will usually fall off. From there, if the nymph is able to move around normally, you may want to consider doing nothing more. 

You can always trim as much off as possible and the remaining exuviae will usually fall off. From there, if the nymph is able to move around normally, you may want to consider doing nothing more. 
Thanks Synapze! I'm about to go trim off some more at least enough to make her walk more comfortably. I hope to loosen it up a bit so it will fall off on it's own.

Even if you cannot get the exuvia off, the nymph will still make her next molt just fine. I had a budwing molt to subadult with only two working legs! 

- MantisGirl13
Thanks MantisGirl13! Wow that's absolutely incredible, poor thing. I'm sure relieved though that this is normal and I have  feeling if it's still there the next molt should push it off and they sure molt quick at this size!

I would try this. You can use a q-tip or a tiny paintbrush to try and moisten it. Otherwise, I vote to try and trim it a bit if you can. Your nymph will molt fine the next time and should be okay
Thanks Graceface! I do happen to have a tiny paintbrush on hand for messing with my tarantulas. I'll see if I can't gently nudge it a little. Maybe I'll try trimming first and then nudging. 

Alright guys. I managed to get these a few minutes ago. As a picture is worth a thousand words here is what I'm dealing with right now. She's otherwise acting more or less like she always does. It was a little larger last night before I cut away the head portion and I was also just able to get most of that old leg jutting out to the left. She won't hold still enough for any more though. Also she seems a little reluctant to walk one of her arms (I don't remember which). I hope she didn't injure it and won't be able to catch food.

tiny molt.JPG

tiny molt 2.JPG

tiny molt 3.JPG

Poor girl with the big part of exo skeleton on her leg. I hope you can remove it, or at least a big part of it.

And budwings are cool mantids yeah,?

Ok. If you trim up the exuvia a bit, (s)he will be perfectly fine!

Speaking of which, the budwing girl I was telling you about is sitting on my kindle as I type!

- MantisGirl13
Perfect! i feel like I've gotten a fair amount and even she's walking slightly funny she's moving quickly and not dragging her leg anymore. Maybe over the next few days she'll cooperate and let me trim a little more. And oh my gosh that's amazing! She must be beautiful and sounds friendly!

Poor girl with the big part of exo skeleton on her leg. I hope you can remove it, or at least a big part of it.

And budwings are cool mantids yeah,?
I definitely got enough off to make her more comfortable at least. Maybe I can get more in a few days if the misting loosens it a bit. And sometime in the future when the rest of my terrarium collection is complete I'll get a budwing and some other species :)  

Perfect! i feel like I've gotten a fair amount and even she's walking slightly funny she's moving quickly and not dragging her leg anymore. Maybe over the next few days she'll cooperate and let me trim a little more. And oh my gosh that's amazing! She must be beautiful and sounds friendly!
Good! She is a beautiful friendly mantis.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts