Post-mortem posing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
Instead of pinning it on the wall like any other dead mantis, making it look it got crucified or something like that, I've been experimenting in giving them more living poses and here's the result of my first try... with some hiccups and technical issues along the way.

At the same time I've been testing new preservation methods. As you can see from this...uuuumm... green European.... It didn't go very well, lol.

DSCN8647.jpg

DSCN8648.jpg

Foam is esier to stick pins into than wood. Good job though. I have pinned silkmoths in the past.
I did use styrofoam to pin the mantis and create the pose. Once dry and stiff I removed it and placed it on wood to look prettier

Gigantic bump.

Since my first time doing this I've improved the technique. My last and first time was a little messy but these are better.

DSCN9996.jpg

DSCN9998.jpg

DSCN9994.jpg

DSCN9992.jpg

That last one looks pretty good man. What are you using to preserve the body? I'd like to start something like this myself when the idols meet their end.

Cheers :D

That last one looks pretty good man. What are you using to preserve the body? I'd like to start something like this myself when the idols meet their end.
I've simply put them in a warm and dry room for a couple days and that's the result. I've tried many preservation methods and that one aparently appears to be the best one so far.

I've tried various methods including:

Seal the specimens in a plastic box and cover their bodies on one occasion with rice and another with salt. (not practical when you want to make a pose out of them)

Freezing them for a long period of time both dry or immersed in water and then take them out and dry. (not practical when you want to make a pose out of them)

Used direct and indirect sunlight exposure (very bad idea)

Put them close to a lit fireplace for some days

Put them in a jar with alcohol. (the best preservation method I used but obviously not practical when you want to make a pose out of them plus it wastes quite a lot of shelf space)

Inject their bodies with alcohol.

Cover their bodies with a nice shiny coating of hair spray.

From all these or even a combination of these (my initial usual combination was: Dry warm room + alcohol injection + hair spray) I either get the same or worse result than a Dry warm room.

I'm not exactly sure why some specimens come out worse than others even though I've used the same preservation technique on all 3 mantids. My guess would be some were dead in their moist enclosure for a longer time period than others so decomposition progressed faster on some.

Last edited by a moderator:
With insects such as dragonflies and damselflies, acetone is used to preserve color in specimens since it very quickly removes water and fat content from the specimens without discoloration like with alcohol. Many dragonflies are only easily identified by their coloration, so this method is recommended for use in preserving some, but not all of them since some have a waxy coating that would be removed with acetone.

You could try using some acetone in place of the alcohol next time.

I remember someone here put them posed in a box of some sort and poured maybe resin? It was clear and re quired great care in preventing bubbles around the mantis.

@Ranitomeya

That's very interesting. I should try that next year. I'll let you know on next December :p

@Sticky

I've seen that too. There are some Youtube videos about that subject but I've read the ingredients are relatively expensive.

Latest posts