Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a new version of the book which will be completely rewritten and have a different title. The old keeping aliens book format is limited due to its construction and production so it could never be truly expanded or revised even if the font were smaller (people complain sometimes about the tiny font in the keeping aliens book but the other option was to cut out large sections of the text). Due to some very recent changes this one should not only be in large format and full-color, but also hardcover. Most of the text had to be deleted and most photos can't be reused because they are too small (the original files were okay but I only have the small file used in the text for many of them, which is far too small). Of course it will be an entirely different book but there may be a few familiar sentences or photos. I'm hoping to involve mantidforum members who may be interested in adding to the book in the way of photos or short info on some species I've never kept or species I have not so great photos of. I'll be posting particulars when I get far enough, maybe a few weeks or months. I've always wanted to put together a large format book on mantids but simple economic realities (including my wife and daughters requirement of food and housing being a higher priority than sinking all my paychecks from work into a big mantis book shaped hole) previously made it unrealistic.

Just getting started with mantids and was going to buy the alien book when I read Orin's post about working on a new book. Any updates on availability for the new version?

This should be what the final cover looks like.

full-size-wrap-alternative.jpg

Most of the information and 2/3rds of the photos are mine but there's input and images from a ton of different forum members so the new book is officially the unofficial mantidforum book. I'd list everyone but I'd hate to miss someone or make a list that seems to be in the wrong order. However, all contributions are labeled clearly so it's easy to see every source.

Orin; enjoyed your book immensly. Cursory overview but enough useful detail for relative newcomers. It's on my bed table now!

Digger

Most of the information and 2/3rds of the photos are mine but there's input and images from a ton of different forum members so the new book is officially the unofficial mantidforum book. I'd list everyone but I'd hate to miss someone or make a list that seems to be in the wrong order. However, all contributions are labeled clearly so it's easy to see every source.
Hi -

I was just going to buy this.... are the updates large enough that i should wait to buy the new one?

glock34girl- the new book is large format 8 x 10, almost a coffee table book and the updates are extensive, it is 98% new and 10 times as long. The old booklet is 5 x 8.5 and mostly black and white. Since this version is full color and relatively huge the price will be a bit more so it depends if you're looking for a quick guide or more extensive resource.

I purchased the soft cover copy from Peter(bugsincyberspace.com)well over a year ago and it was full of very useful info, so I'm looking forward to this one!

When you asked me about my photos I thought you meant for this forum, but you wanted them for the book? Just curious, did any make it in? :)

Will there be a Kindle Version?
I think there's a lot of soft copy mantis info presently available so a kindle version wasn't in the original plans. There actually will be two hardcopy versions, a more expensive softcover that employs a premium color print process and a less expensive hardcover that is also in color but uses a more recent tech that's less expensive but of standard quality.

Here's to wishing you all the best on the new book, don't forget to let us know when we can get our hands on a copy.

Latest posts