Requesting photos with black background

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybon

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a cool montage of a bunch of different species of mantids and was hoping some of the people on this site who take amazing photos could help me out. It would be a lot easier to make a montage if they all have a black background.

Thanks in advanced for the people who help me!

or if it is easier a white background (I'm guessing white paper is easier to find than a solid black background)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome to use any of mine you can find. However, none were shot with a macro lens, so quality will suffer.

There are a few on the Tennis Ball thread that are on white or close to white backgrounds. Pretty easy to dig out the mantids in the photos.

Good luck!

Here is a couple of my Budwing when she was just a little girl. They grow up so fast. Backround is almost all black.

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

gggggggg

thanks, I'll start putting some stuff together now & put it up when finished (I aim to get maybe 20-30 species in one picture for a PC background image :D

I'll get to work but when I use black as a background my flash turns it a grey color :eek:
Your camera will always try to make black or white backgrounds gray.

To get better blacks, under expose your background by using a faster shutter speed.

For better whites over expose the background with slower shutter speeds.

Increase your distance to darken backgrounds, and minimise it to lighten it up.

Harry

Oh yeah! On my way to get some new babies today and there will be an photoevening, i will have black back in mind!

I took a photoshoot a few years ago with European mantids using a black back ground. feel free to use them.

Picture1039.jpg

Picture1038.jpg

Picture1034.jpg

Picture1057.jpg

Latest posts