Rhombodera cf valida HATCH (extreme closeup)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Giant shield mantis (Rhombodera cf valida) nymphs hatch. They emerge with a black skullcap likely intended to protect the head as they push through the surface of the ootheca. Once out, the skull cap falls away, remaining attached to the harness that is part of the egg case which they then shed by splitting at the back and pushing out in a hunched position, much as they do in later life during a molt. The limbs, which looked like rubbery tentacles upon exit, become engorged with fluid taking their permanent shape once pulled from the egg case. I believe the bodily fluids are initially stored in the head, beneath the skull cap. Take notice to how swollen the head is until the limbs and body segments expand. There are several shots of a fully expanded nymph next to one just emerging. The length increase is quite noticeable.

About 359 nymphs emerged over several hours from this ooth. I thought they would never stop coming!

I know this video is long but it's not intended to be entertaining so much as informative for those interested in this process.

Soundtrack by Precarious.

Photos here:

Rhombodera cf. valida - hatch & nymphs

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing !

I love the ballet between two of the nymphs and when they just begin to emerge ...

Now I'm going to make nightmare of a mix of aliens and octopus invading the earth ;)

Wow amazing video. Always been a fan of your videos on YouTube. I'm surprised how far down they hang from the Ooth or is it just me?

Nicely done! Excellent quality. I'm amazed how sharp it is. And the music is perfect.

Sadly, I only have 9 nymphs from my cf valida ooth that started to hatch yesterday. It's interesting that they start out green and then become green/brown within 24 hours.

Wow amazing video. Always been a fan of your videos on YouTube. I'm surprised how far down they hang from the Ooth or is it just me?
It's not just you. This species drops pretty low. Nearly the height of the 32 oz deli cup.

Soo Many :tt1: . Be careful, theyre gonna start takin over your house :tt2:

But seriously, great job and pics dude.

i think it's curled up in the egg with them so they can hang from it
I've always just found it interesting. It looks for all the world as if they are spinning it as they come out. Still, do we know anything about it? Is it analogous to spider web?

Do they make that web stuff that they hang from, or is it part of the ooth?
i think it's curled up in the egg with them so they can hang from it
I'm with agent A on this. It's part of the egg case, which is why the egg case is left dangling from it once it's been shed. Webbing would require a whole new set of complex organs that are never used again. It is pretty cool though.

Human babies do the same thing if you let them dangle from the umbilical cord. They shed the birthing skin and become about the size of a 6-year-old. You're not supposed to know about that. The Illuminati keep it under wraps. That's why they don't like women to give birth at home, just in case it happens and the secret gets out.

secret-1.jpg

I'm with agent A on this. It's part of the egg case, which is why the egg case is left dangling from it once it's been shed. Webbing would require a whole new set of complex organs that are never used again. It is pretty cool though.

Human babies do the same thing if you let them dangle from the umbilical cord. They shed the birthing skin and become about the size of a 6-year-old. You're not supposed to know about that. The Illuminati keep it under wraps. That's why they don't like women to give birth at home, just in case it happens and the secret gets out.

secret-1.jpg
well when that happened with me, i fell on my head :p

Latest posts