Scared of my mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd have the same reaction as you if this happened to me! I'm on my 3rd and fourth mantis and the first two, esp my Chinese mantis, really scared the out of me due to her size. I handled my Carolina mantis a lot towards the end of her life, but I never did handle the big gal (the Chinese mantis). I have two small Indonesian double shields now and I handle them every week.

I don't blame you for how you feel. It's a fear of mine that one day, one of them will bite me and then I'll be forever scared of them. Part of the joy of keeping them as pets is letting them out and handling them.

That is crazy! Ive never heard of such a thing but going to keep a stick on hand from now on! Especially since i reaaaaally want a shield mantis. I do love the fact that even though you are currently skiddish to your mantids, when you thought one was dead or in trouble, you didnt even hesitate to pick it up and handle it all through its molting process. Sounds like you still love these creatures more than you think ? i dont think youre gonna let this experience set you back for long. 

If it makes you feel any better, theres very few hobbies that i enjoy that havent claimed blood from me at some point ? if you have any geranium oil (essential oil not fragrance) it can really help speed healing on that fingertip and reduce any possible scaring/nerve issues. 

I'm sorry that you had such a traumatizing experience! I used to have an adult Tenodera sinensis that never bit me, but every time my friend tried to pick her up, Kitty(mantis) would bite her! We just laughed and moved on, but I thought that it was weird that Kitty would only bite my one friend, and no one else.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks everyone! The bite she gave my finger has healed into a hard tender spot, it's weird that something so small is so lasting! Although I have been too nervous to handle her since the incident, I know I'd miss having them around. I have been tempted a few times to let her out (she's the only once that comes to the door to come out and I feel bad for her, but I chicken out. Femme was really the only one I ever handled other than my budwing. I never really handled my jeweled flower mantis or Africans because they are too jumpy. I now have 2 more mantids on the way - a giant rainforest and an orchid!!!  I guess it's safe to say I'm not giving up on them nor has my love for them changed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw I'm glad to hear you're staying in the hobby.  Bad things happen sometimes in any hobby but the key is to not let them ruin it for you. :)   Also, I'm sure you are super excited about your new mantises coming in - have fun!

Maybe wait a few days and then hold her? I'm glad that you aren't giving up the hobby!

- MantisGirl13

I got 2 new mantis - Giant Rainforest and an Orchid. I handle them because they are still tiny nymphs. I still handle my budwing mantis almost daily and my jeweled flower mantis occasionally, but I still haven't handled my big girl Femme Fatale or my Africans since Femme bite me. I've been tempted though. 

Congratulations on your new Mantids! And it’s awesome that you can still handle your other mantids. 

Sorry about your large mantises, though. But you can take your time recovering from the emotional scar, you don’t want to get hurt or accidentally hurt them. Maybe if you handle your nymphs, you’ll get used to to their increased size as they grow, and by the time they reach adulthood, you’ll be able to handle them just fine.

Gratz with you new mantids.. But i agree with Dane you will get used to their seize while they grow, again.

That is great that you got new mantids! I hope that you don't have any more biting problems!

- MantisGirl13

Perhaps consider using a pair of fabric gloves to handle your larger mantids. You can always phase them out after you build up some more confidence.

The more you handle mantids, the more your confidence builds. Good luck!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts