set u question from a total newb

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyarcana55

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got my first mantis and I totally love it so far! I am pretty sure it's a female and I am guessing it's an L3, but the person who gave it to me isn't all that sure. He didn't keep track of how many times she molted. He doesn't even know what kind of mantis she is, but that's okay. I'll figure it out and she still rocks.

But here's my question. I am setting up a new enclosure for her because I am worried that the one she is in now may be a bit small, height-wise, for her. The original enclosure has a layer of moss on the ground. I originally wanted to put just rocks on the bottom of the new enclosure so the feeders cannot burrow. I wanted to leave out the moss but my husband was told to keep the moss in there. That's fine, I have room for both the rocks and the moss. But what I am worried about is that the feeders I put in there will hide in the moss and she won't see them. I had put in a small cricket and it promptly went into hiding among the moss. Should I not worry about that or should I take the moss out? I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thank you everyone!

Anna

Not sure how accurate this is,  it I’ve heard Rocks can be dangerous for mantises in the event that they fall during a molt, or right after when their exoskeleton is still soft and drying.

Also, other feeders (cockroaches, fruit flies, bottle flies) don’t burrow in moss, So that might be a better option.

Eventually the cricket will come back up, I’m sure. Eventually your mantis will find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! I was told small rocks, like the type you use in aquariums, are good for a mantis enclosure since they help keep moisture in! Maybe I should keep the moss in there then. If nothing else it will help cushion the mantis should she fall.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, River Dane. It helps.

Aquarium rocks do not affect humidity levels, they have a coating on them and cannot hold moisture. Two popular substrates to use that do hold moisture are coconut husk or sphagnum moss. You dampen the substrate with water and put a layer at the bottom of the habitat then mist the walls & substrate with water every few days to keep up the humidity. You dont want the substrate to completely dry out....just be careful not to add too much water and to change the substrate regularly or mold can grow.

Latest posts