She's trying to lay her egg case, but...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefoot

Reaction score
She's trying to lay her egg case but she's having a hard time. I think she's too weak and old to hold herself up to the screen at the top of the tank. She started an egg case while I slept last night but she gave up. Is there anything I can do for her? She is FAT.

This is her enclosure. She's laid 2 egg cases already, both on the screen.

DSCN7729.JPG

The screen at the top is mesh. Don't have any at home and I'm not leaving home today because of Sandy, I'm in NJ, and I don't think any businesses are open anyway.

I wonder if she'll let me just hold her in my hand up against the screen. Hmmm.

Tried it. Nope. She just fought to climb to the edge of the screen and up and on top. Hmmm.

Okay, I yanked a rubber tube with coarse rope wound tight around it from one of my cat scratching posts, took twisty ties and fastened it to the underside of the screen in Lucy's tank. Hopefully she figures it out and uses that to cling to.

Dagnabit. That's not working either. She's not interested in my suggestion. Argh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Make sure she is well hydrated. In my experience I've noticed that humidity is important, but what's more important is making sure that they are drinking enough water. I've misted enclosures before and didn't see them drink. Then I gave them some water from a bamboo skewer and they drank a ton.

Can you take a good length of paper towel and put it on one side? Enough to go from top to bottom of the tank. Take one end and shut the lid on it to hold it up or tape it on the outside. She might have better luck climbing/holding on and then can lay ok.

Good luck!

Latest posts