Shipping mantises with 120 hour heat packs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are to hot, I would not used them unless you have done it before and know what your doing. You have to have enough ventilation for all heat packs to work as air activates them...how much air is the question.

Those are to hot, I would not used them unless you have done it before and know what your doing. You have to have enough ventilation for all heat packs to work as air activates them...how much air is the question.
Okay. I have not tried the 110 hour heat packs before. I have only used the 96 hour heat packs. I will test a 110 hour heat pack in a medium Priority Mail box with 1/2 inch insulation and newspaper stuffing to see how well it heats, and whether it gets too hot in the box. I will also add holes to the insulation to allow oxygen to come in for the heat pack to work. It says on the 110 hour heat pack instructions that you need several ventilation holes. I have a thermometer that I will put in the box to see how warm it gets in there.

Slightly unrelated question, but do the mantises also require ventilation holes? Maybe the air inside their deli cup is enough to hold them for 110 hours. Maybe you could have separate chambers inside the shipping box. One for the mantises, and one for the heat pack. Some sort of partition between the two chambers. Enough for heat to transfer over, but not too much. The heat pack "chamber" would have air holes, but the mantis chamber would be sealed tight?

Slightly unrelated question, but do the mantises also require ventilation holes? Maybe the air inside their deli cup is enough to hold them for 110 hours. Maybe you could have separate chambers inside the shipping box. One for the mantises, and one for the heat pack. Some sort of partition between the two chambers. Enough for heat to transfer over, but not too much. The heat pack "chamber" would have air holes, but the mantis chamber would be sealed tight?
I remember reading Yen Saw saying that ventilation holes are not necessary when shipping mantises. The plastic containers probably don't have a perfect seal and so let enough oxygen in for the mantises. When I was testing the 110 hour heat pack I noticed the containers with the fabric lids that were up against each other allowed the warmth from the heat pack to travel to the touching containers. But when the fabric lids were not pressed up against each other the heat would stay in the container next to the heat pack, but not travel to the container nearby.

The 110 hour heat packs that I got recently are said to have gone out of date last November. I hope they will still work okay. The one I tested got warm. But it is going cool now. I started it Saturday last week, so it hasn't really lasted all that long. I did have the heat pack exposed without newspaper wrapping for many hours initially. Usually I would wrap up the heat pack with several layers of newspapers.

The 110 hour heat packs that I got recently are said to have gone out of date last November. I hope they will still work okay. The one I tested got warm. But it is going cool now. I started it Saturday last week, so it hasn't really lasted all that long. I did have the heat pack exposed without newspaper wrapping for many hours initially. Usually I would wrap up the heat pack with several layers of newspapers.
They're selling expired heat packs? That doesn't seem kosher.

Latest posts