should i get a Hadrurus arizonensis Desert Hairy Scorpion

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinder151

Reaction score
Ive had a Emperor Scorpion before, but it died after 2 years. i had the setup like it should and the scorpion was eating like normaly. so i dont know the reason why it died.
but now im looking for a new scorpion but i want a more Active scorpion and a little more Aggresive like this one are, the Emperor was just hiding under his house all the time, and ive been readin that Desert Hairy Scorpion are more Active. What do you other Scorpion experts think? is this a scorpion something i can take care of if ive only had a emperor scorpion before?

i have Cage,Heat Cables, and everything needed for a desert scorpion, Sand substrate i can get very fast or any substrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're different than emperors for sure. A desert hairy will not hesitate to sting (usually, not all of them are like this but most are) Other than that they're generally a good beginners scorpion. They are active and will probably try to burrow. Don't let the humidity rise too high or they will risk fungal infection. You'll also need heat and sand/scrub substrate.

They're different than emperors for sure. A desert hairy will not hesitate to sting (usually, not all of them are like this but most are) Other than that they're generally a good beginners scorpion. They are active and will probably try to burrow. Don't let the humidity rise too high or they will risk fungal infection. You'll also need heat and sand/scrub substrate.
Yeah ive read that theyre will sting very easy, but i didnt handle my Emperor so much either, and when i picked him up i always used gloves even if the venom isnt dangerous for humans. i have Heat Cables, does these work? i glued the heat cables about 2-3 cms above the substrate outside the cage. but i think a desert scorpion is more something for me then a rainforest scorpion like emperor.

But what you mean with sand scrub substrate? ive seen and read that i need to use Sand. but what is scrub substrate? do i need both scrub substrate and sand or is 1 of them fine?

25 Euro for a desert scorpion is that a normal and good price?

They are nocturnal so like the emperor expect them to remain hidden and lazy all day. You will need plenty places for them to burrow under and hide. They are a nice species, biggest north American species and not that dangerous but the sting isn't fun but it is bearable.

I've kept many of them.. I personally love them much more than emperors. I say go for it, as long as you know the care and you expect that it might try and sting. Also be careful with crix for this species I noticed. The crickets seem to try to bite these guys more than they do emperors

I've kept many of them.. I personally love them much more than emperors. I say go for it, as long as you know the care and you expect that it might try and sting. Also be careful with crix for this species I noticed. The crickets seem to try to bite these guys more than they do emperors
i dont have Crickets, purchased them once and never again. but my supplier only sold 500 at once and they made me go crazy with all their sounds they made 24/7 so i gave them all away. so i only use Dubia Cookroaches now.

And yeah ive read that they will try to sting, i didnt handle my emperor so much either, and when i did handle it i had gloves on me. so i do respect that they can sting. but i contacted the seller who had these and i have to wait a month because its to cold they say.

H. arizonensis are an obligate burrowing species and must be able to tunnel around in their substrate. For my H. spadix (a nearly identical species), I gave it 5 inches of a 30% excavator clay and 70% sand substrate. Clay is necessary, since normal sand won't hold up tunnels. Make sure the substrate is completely dried out before introducing the scorpion, because they are very susceptible to mycosis, an irreversible fungal infection.

Even though H. arizonensis tunnel a lot, unlike emps and forest scorpions, they don't actually sit in their tunnel all day. I personally love my desert hairy because it's very active and spends most of its time crawling around the tank and digging tunnels, and only retreats back into them for about half the day.

It's a nice scorpion with defensive disposition.

But all and all most inverts are not very active, my scorp is almost always hiding under it's piece of wood.

Latest posts