sick giant shield

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrymanmarbles

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a giant shield that's definately sick.its staying on the ground for one and its throwing up constantly but its clear almost all the time not black like some other sicknesses.and as you know they are all green but he has got a swollen abdomen with the sides turning purple on the sides.I'm not too experienced with dealing with sick mantids because I stick to the right temp humidity and diet etc. I put him in a new tank while I sterilized his old one and quarantined him to a different room than my other mantids and I am hand offering him water every so often which he can't seem to get enough of.any advice or diagnosis would be much appretiated I'm trying to save my little buddy.

how old is he and how close to his next molt is he if he isn't an adult yet? Picture might be helpful, some of my giant shields naturally have purple on their sides. Also do you handfeed him water? What diet is he on? Is he able to stand or is he literally lying on the ground?

He is still young he has only molted twice and I feed him blue bottle flies and random moths I find around the house.no crickets or anything at all from the pet store.he hasn't been eating so I have been hand feeding him water to keep hydration up but I did get home from work to find him mid molt.that would explain the lying down and not wanting to climb but not all the vomiting. Not to sure how to post pics but I'll try to get one up after and I don't want to disturb him while he's molting right now either

I checked on him multiple times and he was just hanging upside down with his head and upper torso out of the old exoskeleton but his arms and everything else was stuck.he is still vomiting too while he's stick in the molt.I was misting him with Luke warm water to help soften things up but he just didn't have the strength to get out I spent the last 2 hours peeling him out gently with tweezers but he had to come off the top for me to do that.after all that I gave him some water which made him come to for a second and then I gave him some diluted honey water for a little nutrition.I layer him on a paper towel in the cage to dry.we'll see if he makes it through the night but I don't think he's strong enough to pull through.