skinny ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opivy

Reaction score
Well, it's been exactly 1 month now since my mated giant shield laid her ooth and only recently did it pop into my head it doesn't quite look right.

I witnessed her and a male connected, and have been treating the ooth properly so I'm not giving up on it. But looking at other pictures of ooths, I noticed mine is quite skinny, and kind of oddly shaped. It looks sort of like a sharp mountain peak with a very pointy end.

Main question is:

Is it possible even though she was mated, that the ooth could be infertile for some reason? Can shape be an indicator?

No camera at the moment =(. I'll try to get something up tomorrow -

I would be very disappointed if this didn't hatch - My male, and one of my females have died within the past 3 days.

I'm left with one female =(. (but she is the one that mated, and laid the ooth)

The ooth does not have to be perfect to hold the young, I get ooths that are totatly weird and they still produce, also the time for hatching on yours is not quite ready.

The mating will have no affect on shape. Like Rebecca said, even odd shaped ooths often still produce. Those do have a point on them normally but are supposed to be kinda roundish.

Great. I was keeping the ooth in the same area as my mantids - so the two deaths kind of concern me.

I had them in the living room, which get's very cold at night. I assume either that, or the fact they were kind of near a vent for the heater (which keeps the room very warm) might have dried them out?

Either way, is it likely that I could have done damage to my ooth? As of last night I moved it out of that room, and into a warmer bedroom on the far end from the heater vent.

So long as you are keeping the ooth moist, the temp changes and the vent shouldn'tbe a problem, and we all agree that the shape isn't an issue. I would be more concerned, though, that the mated female hasn't laid a second ooth in a month, if I understand you correctly.

I notoriously give the most pessimistic interpretations/predictions on this forum, and I can't help pointing out that seeing the pair apparently "in cop." doesn't necessarily mean that fertilization occurred. Let's hope that I am wrong. Again. :D

Was thinking about this Phil.

I was under the impression that mantids will lay eggs, regardless.

Does the fact that she hasn't laid another in a month strike you as strange?

Was thinking about this Phil.I was under the impression that mantids will lay eggs, regardless.

You're right that unmated females can and will lay infertile ooths. There are no fixed rules, but usually, IMO, a female will often lay her first ooth within days of mating. and fairly regularly thereafter. Unfertilized females tend to lay less regularly. Notice me hedging my bets? :D We shall see!

update!

She is now laying an ooth, or at least that's what I thinks he is doing.

Never got to watch the process - sure takes a long time. (Just little bits of goo so far, and it's been a good 15 minutes)

could this be a good sign?

I really hope so =( My little guys are dying off on me! I need some babies for the new year.

LMAO! She doesn't - I've also suspected her to be a man on several occasions. Although she looked really great in Wild at Heart, and so-so in Jurassic Park.

that aside

She was very close to the bottom of the container she was in. I lifted the stick up a bit and set it on another one -

She is a little finnicky(sp?) and needs special care - I'm not sure what the part of the leg is called (the very tip) that is used to grip things, but for some reason she only has two. And they are on the back right legs- She constantly gets her grabbing arms stuck in the mesh on the top. Gotta help her get them unstuck which angers her very much.

Ashame she attacks me when I only want to help =(

Was thinking about this Phil.I was under the impression that mantids will lay eggs, regardless.

Rhombodera sp. females will roughly lay an ooth a month wheather mated or not. This is a normal time range for this species.

LMAO! She doesn't - I've also suspected her to be a man on several occasions. Although she looked really great in Wild at Heart, and so-so in Jurassic Park.that aside

She was very close to the bottom of the container she was in. I lifted the stick up a bit and set it on another one -

She is a little finnicky(sp?) and needs special care - I'm not sure what the part of the leg is called (the very tip) that is used to grip things, but for some reason she only has two. And they are on the back right legs- She constantly gets her grabbing arms stuck in the mesh on the top. Gotta help her get them unstuck which angers her very much.

Ashame she attacks me when I only want to help =(
Maybe you should change the mesh to something else. If her tarsi are getting stuck and breaking off then she will have a harder time laying an ooth if she is not sure footed.

Latest posts