So disappointed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you can and I'm willing to help if needed.

I've read so many bad reviews left by people who simply became discouraged and some who just gave up out of frustration. Unfortunately, being #1 in search results gives many the impression that the 1st listing is the best and most relevant to their search.

I really hate seeing people new to mantids have such difficulties in acquiring their first specimen. I refuse to beg anyone for good customer service. I keep getting a little bit angry for what @lovemymantisfriends is being put through. ?
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm currently looking at website hosts and review software to see if can be done for free or very little money. You're right, it shouldn't be that hard for a beginner to acquire their first specimen and I hate the thought they might just give up on the hobby entirely because of a bad experience with that seller. Besides people believing that #1 in search is best they also think the most professional and fancy website also equals the best service when this simply isn't the case. People do look at reviews before buying any other thing, and there are review and complaint sites for every other online business....there should be the same for mantis seller websites. But for people that don't think to read reviews first that is why trying to get up there in the search is important.

I hate these kind of poor selling practices, preselling stuff before you actually have it (given these are living creatures and they may not hatch or survive etc). Then basically writing your customers off as trouble makers if they dare to ask where their order is. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. 

I'm assuming this is an american seller? Luckily here in the uk I've never had a problem and the few dealers I've come across have been great.

I'm assuming this is an american seller? Luckily here in the uk I've never had a problem and the few dealers I've come across have been great.
Yes, it is a US seller.  

The seller comes up first (after an Amazon ad) if you google "praying mantis for sale"...this is why so many new people stumble across him. His website is professional looking and uses all sorts of little marketing tricks to help reassure people this is a good place to buy from. 
Here are the reviews on this forum:  

I did wind up ordering a couple mantids from someone who posted on a Facebook page.  She said she would ship them Monday.  It looks like she has good reviews.  I am getting a sub adult giant shield female, a sub adult golden female.  She also said she would throw in a couple Giant rainforest that she said just hatched.  

Yes, it is a US seller. 
He is very active lately on youtube. Don't get it why he is isn't fair to costumers.☹️ It was because some of his (and others) vids I decided to buy a mantis.

I did wind up ordering a couple mantids from someone who posted on a Facebook page.  She said she would ship them Monday.  It looks like she has good reviews.  I am getting a sub adult giant shield female, a sub adult golden female.  She also said she would throw in a couple Giant rainforest that she said just hatched.  
I  hope your mantids will arrive soon :)   keep us updated.

He is very active lately on youtube. Don't get it why he is isn't fair to costumers.☹️ It was because some of his (and others) vids I decided to buy a mantis.
same here!  

I will certainly keep everyone updated on my newest order (also still havent cancelled the other order, kinda want to see how it pans out)

I am glad that you found someone hopefully more trusted. Keep us updated!

- MantisGirl13

Well, my newest order is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  Still no word on my original order from May.  The seller states that there is a 20% restocking fee/room and board fee that will be taken from your refund.  Will Paypal honor that policy or refund my whole amount?  Anyone know?

Will Paypal honor that policy or refund my whole amount?  Anyone know?
PayPal refunded me in full. I stressed the lack of communication in my complaint.

The 20% restocking fee for something that isn't a custom item and hasn't even been shipped is unenforceable and unethical, not to mention ridiculous. I mentioned this policy to PayPal as well. 

After you file your complaint, head over to www.bbb.org and file a complaint. It will only take a couple of minutes and may spare someone else the same frustration you've been put through. 

Anyway, I'm glad you have a mantis on the way. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my newest order is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  Still no word on my original order from May.  The seller states that there is a 20% restocking fee/room and board fee that will be taken from your refund.  Will Paypal honor that policy or refund my whole amount?  Anyone know?
They will refund the entire amount you paid, you didn't get anything in return for your money and the seller hasn't shipped the order. His "restocking fee" doesn't even follow the commonly accepted definition. Typically a "restocking fee" is charged by a seller when they ship you something but you returned it for a reason that is not the fault of the seller. It is to discourage frivolous/repeated returns. It is not supposed to be used to discourage people from seeking a refund when their order is several months late. That is just weird and yes, unethical.

PayPal will not honor whatever weird policies the seller has in their terms, PayPal adheres solely to Paypal's own policies which the seller must agree to in order to use the service. Sometimes PayPal will ask you to try to work something out with the seller first but as @Synapze said just stress the lack of communication and their vague promises to ship that went unfulfilled when they did bother to reply.

They arrived!!!

20180711_162933.jpg

20180711_133317.jpg

Ooh! So pretty! Are they Sphodromantis? My S. Gastrica gal molted to adult last night.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Subadult? Think I can see wingbuds. Very nice, glad you finally got them. 

Latest posts