Some of my recent photos...and an old one posted again

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolfe

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was planning to head north today to photograph Sharp-tailed grouse early tomorrow morning, but over a foot of snow fell on the lek where they dance, and my friend, Bill, and I decided not to go. The grouse will have to wait until I get back from North Dakota for me to make them famous. (Ha. Ha.) So, I took a few more images today and processed some I took earlier this year. Here are some photos that I've taken since my last photo thread I created in November.

IMG_2013-04-17_7314-M.jpg

Garden Mantis (Orthodera ministralis)

(I also photographed a first instar Garden Mantis yesterday and posted it in my L1 comparison thread.)

IMG_2013-04-19_7446-M.jpg

Ghost Mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa), Adult female and L1 nymph

I keep thinking it would be fun to start a thread with photos of L1 nymphs with adults. But I never get around to taking photos before the nymphs molt to L2. So, I finally did today. This wasn't my first choice of females to use. She molted to an adult in November, and her colors seem to be fading. I had misted two others and found the water droplets weren't drying. I tried another female that kept kicking the baby off.

IMG_2013-04-19_7465-M.jpg

Stagmomantis carolina (adult female)

IMG_2013-04-17_7348-M.jpg

Stagmomantis carolina (adult female)

IMG_2013-01-02_5592-M.jpg

Yellow Orchid (Parymenopus davisoni), L3 nymph (photo taken in January; now an adult)

IMG_2013-03-11_6368-M.jpg

Yellow Orchid (Parymenopus davisoni) (photographed in March; now an adult)

IMG_2013-03-11_6491-M.jpg

Purple Boxer Mantis (Ephestiasula pictipes)

IMG_2013-04-17_7384-M.jpg

Violin Mantis (Gongylus gongylodes)

IMG_2012-12-14_5277-M.jpg

Archimantis latistyla (I photographed this mantis in December. They are more colorful now.)

Finally, I am not currently keeping Idolos. However, I got excited the other day when someone ordered a print of this Idolomantis that I took in 2011. (I probably shared this image then.) I don't know if it's anyone from this site. But this was my first mantis print sale.

IMG_2011-08-17_8130-M.jpg

Latest posts