Spirobolus walkeri

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Clausen

Reaction score
Just got a couple of these pretty black and red millipedes yesterday and threw them up on YouTube. Bump the video quality up by clicking the bottom right button.

Last edited by a moderator:
I acquired them in on trade, 3 males and 1 female. Yes, that's a pair in the video. My outlook on offspring is probably dismal but we'll see what happens.

Oh, Rebecca, you're just a few hobby years away from expanding into millipedes. You just don't know it yet!

If you get another chance, go for a different sex ratio. 3 females to each male. And plan on shipping several immatures to Rebecca. Thats where my first group will be going, (unexpectedly maybe!).

About how long are they? Do you know if they are adults yet?

If you look around on the web there seems to be some variation in these for color and size. My males appear to be mature at 3 inches while the female is closer to 4. Another keeper mentioned theirs were yellow striped instead of red and approached five inches.

I didn't have much of an option from my domestic source on these in terms of sexes. I don't expect to see more of them soon. One male that was lethargic upon arrival is now dead. The others look content. We'll see!

HI

i'm thinking of getting some of these, there are lots on the internet for sale at the mo.

peter u said u have 2 males and one female, how do u tell the sex? most of the sites selling them don't sell them as pairs just unsexed idviduals.

once I'v figered out the sex and have a pair how do u breed millipedes, i'v never kept a pair of them before, just the odd indvidual. i would really like to breed them and would appreciate any help,

thanks

oliver

Who has them available Oliver? In the US? Your info. box doesn't show your country.

My video clearly shows the wider black segment of the male about 6 pairs of legs behind the head. He's the smaller, thinner specimen of the two. I don't know anybody that has bred this species, so I don't have much info. for you. My recommendation is substrate at least deep as the animal is long- soil mixed with wood and leaves from hardwood trees. Keep the substrate humid. Offer some fruit and dried pet food to a point it's eaten within a few days.

Of course, Orin McMonigle's affordable book "Giant Millipedes The Enthusiast's Handbook" is a better source of information than anything you'll find online.

Latest posts