springbok mantis nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

a fews days ago I found a little nymph in my house and I think it could be the immigrant south african breed (im from NZ)

and I have no idea how to feed him/her, considering the local pet store sells no such type of food

along mantid lines, I decided to put a small moth that was still bigger than the nymph(lol)

and today I checked the habitat and the moth seems to have vanished, so I suspect the little one could have eaten

it but I am not entirely sure.

Can anyone give me some good food ideas and also how to catch said food?

Hi Celeste! Well, good for you for not giving up after losing yr first mantis. I would guess that she was about 4cm and could take houseflies. How big is your new one?

Unfortunately, as you and I know, the baby mantis's favorite food, fruit flies, are almost unknown in N.Z., and the farmers want to keep it that way.

Probably the best thing to do would be to build or buy a strong sweeping net and have at the local scrub with it. You'll catch all sorts of hoppers and tiny flies and can keep them in a jar, though you might find it fun to catch fresh food every day.

I was sorry to hear that Florence died for no apparent reason -- did you change her name? That might account for it.

I suspect that that tall glass jar with the top with pin holes in it may have not been well enough ventilated. Try buying an ice cream sundae in one of those tall, plastic sundae glasses -- the kind that has a plastic dome on top with a hole for the straw and clean it thoroughly. I have a friend in Sidney who cut a 3cm square in the plastic close to the bottom and two closer to the top and covered them with plastic window screening attached with hot glue (super glue should work, but let the fumes air out before using it). Put a folded paper towel in the bottom, add some small twigs for your nymph to climb on. Enlarge the hole in the domed top and block it with a piece of plastic foam. Now, at last, you are set! Spray some distilled water into the pot with one of those spray bottles, stick the nymph in and put on the lid. The screened holes will allow for plenty of ventilation, and when you feed the tiny insects, put them in through a funnel inserted into the hole in the lid. Spray lightly (there should be no moisture left on the sides after about an hour) ever time you feed your nymph.

That probably took longer to write than it will to set up. :D

It looks as though you live in the middle of a breeding colony of this mantis; perhaps you can find enough to breed some yourself! Keep us informed and ask lots of questions. You are the only kiwi to join the forum in the few years that I've been here; perhaps you will be an example to others! :p

Obviously, you know that yr name means "heavenly " but do you know the Verdi aria Celeste Aida? Here you go. (Folks not named Celeste or Aida can listen, too):

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that!, my little one will be very happy! I am definitely going to try out that food catching technique aswell!

And I also have some interesting news.. I found a mantis ooth on the blinds in my house (lo)

Im wondering if I should just leave it there or carefully remove it and put it somewhere safe..

Also I don't seem to be very lucky in finding any male mantids and only seem to be able to spot females XD.

Wow, that is certainly surprising im the only kiwi! I guess not everyone can be a bug nerd! lol but yes I really hope more kiwi's will join...

that song by Pavarotti I have never heard before but it is really nice thankyou :)

Thanks for that!, my little one will be very happy! I am definitely going to try out that food catching technique aswell!

And I also have some interesting news.. I found a mantis ooth on the blinds in my house (lo)

Im wondering if I should just leave it there or carefully remove it and put it somewhere safe..

Also I don't seem to be very lucky in finding any male mantids and only seem to be able to spot females XD.

Wow, that is certainly surprising im the only kiwi! I guess not everyone can be a bug nerd! lol but yes I really hope more kiwi's will join...

that song by Pavarotti I have never heard before but it is really nice thankyou :)
Oops!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is turning into a dialogue, Celeste, perhaps because most American members are not familiar with the Springbok mantis.

I would say definitely remove the ooth and glue it (use hot glue) to the top of another sundae glass set up the same as the first (you are going to get fat just providing containers for your mantids!). If it is a M. caffra it will look rather blobby with a little "tail" at one end, where the nymps will hatch out. Check by looking it up in Wikipedia, which has a nice pic of the ooth. If it is smaller and better sculpted, then it would have to be the New Zealand mantis, Orthodera novaezealae, though I think that the Sprinkbok was discovered by a schoolboy in the North Island, so you could maybe discover a new (invasive) species! :p

In my old age, I forgot to give you the name of a kiwi publication that covers the two NZ mantids in depth, Fauna of New Zealand Number 19 Mantodea (Insecta) by G.W. Ramsay. 1990. I got my copy from Andrew Isles bookstore in oz for about $28.00 (Aus), but you may be able to get it cheaper at home.

O.k., let us know how you and your mantids are getting on!

lol here is another mantis dialog for you:

not long ago Tish had died and I had actually let Florence go,

I had found a new mantis, then I found that ooth on the blind (it's in a different jar.)

and then I went back to that same lavender bush after a week where I had found and put back florence

because she looked sick, and then that week I found the exact same mantis! it was Florence, I identified it as her

because she has always had a black spot on her wing that could have been an injury that no other Miomantis Caffra does,

and then I put her in a dif cage with the smaller mantis to clean it and when I came back from cleaning the small mantis

must have moulted(sp?) because there was a mantis skin but no mantis! Florence had eaten it! and then the next day after

cleaning the enviroment again I woke up to find that big fat Florence had layed an ooth on her climbing stick, I was amazed xD.

And now I have another mantid that is in a different jar because I am afraid Florence will die soon after.

Thanks for reading ^^ lol

Latest posts