Stagmomantis Californica on the coast

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollolloller

Reaction score
I live in Northern California about a mile from the ocean. On average, the temperature here does not go nearly as far in either direction compared to just 30 miles over the hill where summers are hot and it snows in the winter. Average 75-80 degrees in the summer days and ~30-35 in the winter nights. Lots of wind from the ocean. Lots of fog. Is my outdoor environment suitable for a Stagmomantis Californica colony? I know it's native to California, but I'm worried my weather, being different from inland Cali, might not be suitable. I only recently discovered there were mantis species native to North America besides the Carolina Mantis, and I love that there is a beautiful species native to my home state. I started thinking about the invasiveness of the Chinese mantis throughout the US, and thought it'd be really cool to boost the S.C. numbers in their native land.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have an answer to your question but is your area part of their native range?

If you're still looking for an answer to your question, it doesn't. It resides in southern California and the surrounding area.

Yeah, you can find them pretty much all throughout the state, but Stagmomantis limbata has taken over a lot of their territories.

Latest posts