Sticking legs out

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macromatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed a few times my mantis seems to hang upside sticking her legs out at one side, and then alternates to the other side?

Is this normal behaviour ?

Matt

I just had my male viridis (Fritz) out for some roaming time on a house plant, he also has done this all morning. He's not the first, a large portion of mantises ive owned so far ive witness do it. Usually after grooming...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she is trying to hail a cab?

It sounds like normal behavior unless she is constantly doing it.

As with most of the other viewers who didn't respond, I have no idea without seeing a photo of the mantis and the particular poses to have an idea what you are referring to. ;)

I will say though you can see all mantises breathing at any stage by watching the spiracles (small holes) in a line on their abdomen - it appears to pulse as they contract and expand to breathe. Read more about it here. So perhaps they will answer one of your inquiries.

sticking her legs out at one side, and then alternates to the other side?

Is this normal behaviour ?
If she follows that up with shaking it all about, that's what we call in the states the Hokey Pokey.

But, as a total newbie, my bet would be she is about to molt.

Does seem rather strange. Typically they will secure all legs to molt so I doubt if it molting. Perhaps it is being like a kid and playing around with it's legs and arms, testing it's limits. I'd say just keep an eye on your orchid keep us updated. ;)

Well I woke this morning to find she had moulted again. So now she is 6th instar. I'm still shocked at how fast she is doing this. I took everyone's advice of cooling down the tank but it seems there is no stopping her lol.

Pics in a few days :)

Latest posts