Suitability of this enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
So I got this years ago. Found it at petsmart on the clearance rack for $6. It went for quite a good amount at full price. But I have never used it for anything. Thinking of changing that and tossing some mantids in there. It is sold as a lizard enclosure.

I was thinking of putting some Idolo's in here but am looking for any other suggestions. It is 30" L 25" H and 12.5" wide. Has two screened doors that open on each side for cross ventilation.

100_1393.jpg

100_1394.jpg

100_1395.jpg

i'm super impressed you were able to buy that for 6 dollars on clearance, must be a display item? i would love to see clearance like that in my area.

it looks like a fun custom project. is the top lid glass or screen?

I have a screen lid for it. Ok maybe I need to go read that idolo thread, but I thought they were now being kept in glass enclosures? When I first kept them everybody was doing net cages and we had a lot of molting issues. I am usually against using something this large for mantids, but want to try and put it to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an awesome tank. I'm jealous. Would be good for Idolo. Just read through the first few pages of the thread. You'd have to add vertical branches they can climb and cover the roof with branches as well. Fake vines from a craft store are great for creating a level midway between top and bottom. Just get the vines with cloth leaves and a wire in the stem. You can shape it as an arch. Works great. Put moss in the bottom to break any falls and hold humidity.

Best of luck with Idolos!

That's an awesome tank. I'm jealous. Would be good for Idolo. Just read through the first few pages of the thread. You'd have to add vertical branches they can climb and cover the roof with branches as well. Fake vines from a craft store are great for creating a level midway between top and bottom. Just get the vines with cloth leaves and a wire in the stem. You can shape it as an arch. Works great. Put moss in the bottom to break any falls and hold humidity.

Best of luck with Idolos!
Thanks. Yeah I couldn't pass this tank up for six bucks. Even fifty would have been a steal.

I read something about polystyrene being a good choice for them as well. Something about they can grip it well. Not sure how I would go about using it in a humid environment though. I figure the extra height of this thing would work well for them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, I use an aquarium for mine too, but, I put the tulle from top to bottom with moss on the bottom so they can't get under it. It works really well as the container has a top hood and light that keeps it around 100F, the inside of the top is all regular fiberglass screen and they all hang from it with a few branches, so u should be ok, ask Orin, he seen it.

Rick, I use an aquarium for mine too, but, I put the tulle from top to bottom with moss on the bottom so they can't get under it. It works really well as the container has a top hood and light that keeps it around 100F, the inside of the top is all regular fiberglass screen and they all hang from it with a few branches, so u should be ok, ask Orin, he seen it.
So you use fiberglass screen on the lid? What is a tulle?

Six dollars... six dollars... Make sure you take some photos of when you get it all set up. That is a lovely looking display tank.

I read something about polystyrene being a good choice for them as well. Something about they can grip it well. Not sure how I would go about using it in a humid environment though. I figure the extra height of this thing would work well for them too.
Not sure about that. Never tried it. I stick with natural materials as much as possible.

What I can say for sure is because they are a heavy species they prefer to wrap their foot around a branch rather than grip with the spikes on the feet like smaller species do. A late instar Idolo forced to do this has a good chance of falling or losing its spikes. If they try to grip with the spikes directly after molt (i.e. if there are not branches to wrap the feet around after stepping off the old skin) the spikes rip off and they drop. This is the reason so many were failing early on. The spikes are completely gone after that and they never recover.

sweet tank!

the side doors is such a convenience

you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone hanging out because you got two other doors you can open!

$6??

I'm so jealous

I'm going to have to check my petsmart more often now

Not sure about that. Never tried it. I stick with natural materials as much as possible.

What I can say for sure is because they are a heavy species they prefer to wrap their foot around a branch rather than grip with the spikes on the feet like smaller species do. A late instar Idolo forced to do this has a good chance of falling or losing its spikes. If they try to grip with the spikes directly after molt (i.e. if there are not branches to wrap the feet around after stepping off the old skin) the spikes rip off and they drop. This is the reason so many were failing early on. The spikes are completely gone after that and they never recover.
First time I kept them I used twigs/sticks and they still fell. But I did house in a net cube.

First time I kept them I used twigs/sticks and they still fell. But I did house in a net cube.
The problem with that is their feet could have been damaged before molt. Subs get their spikes caught in the tight weave. They can lose the entire foot sometimes. And they tend to molt facing a wall, then grab onto it after molt. I think that's one of the reasons glass is a better choice. That way they have to grab the good materials you put in it. Cover the screen and use lots of twigs and vines and all should be well. I hope you have better success this time.

Thanks. Do you attach twigs and other such surfaces to the glass as well?

Latest posts