T. Sinensis hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollolloller

Reaction score
Came home from the store tonight to find probably over 100 babies had hatched! I'm gonna have to separate them into groups tomorrow.

20150528_233817.jpg

Congrats. I just released the rest of my t.s. I found small groups not good enough. There was still cannibalism. Even with a ton of flies they still seemed to enjoy eating each other instead.

Yeah, I'm expecting some cannibalism as I'm gonna have to keep them in groups, for individual cups would take up way too much space. I'll be sure to keep the groups well fed to reduce the chances of cannibalism. I plan to sell most of them when they hit L3/L4 instar. I may release some outdoors, but I'm not entirely certain they'd survive to reproduce and then hatch wild young the following year. Granted I bought the eggs locally, I live on the northern coastline of California, and the weather here is much different from the rest of Cali. I don't like the idea of releasing mantids into the wild unless I'm certain they'll have a good chance at surviving (meaning not just as nymphs/adults, but able to hatch live young to survive the following year as well, like a full cycle). Otherwise I'll just keep them all indoors to improve aurvivability.

I'm not even done counting them all out yet. I just finished separating 80 nymphs into one 80oz container (50) and three 16oz cups (10 each), and there are at least that many left in the hatching container. Still have another ooth waiting to hatch. I'm starting to realize the magnitude of this situation, so I'm definitely going to be releasing several outdoors on the next sunny day. For the ones I'm keeping, I have to go buy more containers and sort them out.

Congrats!! I know it's a great feeling to see your ooths hatching! I would probably put some outside because they are warriors! They might even surprise you and you'll find some in August! :) That was my project for a while! I wanted mantids to appear around my area more so I bought an ooth and every I see babies, so I'm happy! Good luck though!

Latest posts