Terrarium with lots of twigs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone notice any need for day/night humidity vairance...? I have my lights all on timers, so it would be easy to put the humidifier on it too. Just not sure there's any need...
I am a beginner but -

I would personally consider adding a humidifier temporarily if I noticed a mantis not getting out of a molt. (although that may not be the only reason something like that happens).

Anyone notice any need for day/night humidity vairance...? I have my lights all on timers, so it would be easy to put the humidifier on it too. Just not sure there's any need...
I have never heard any suggestion there is a need for it, but in nature humidity always goes up at night. That's why we get dew in the morning and probably one of the reasons many mantids choose night or morning to molt. ;)

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that. I imagine just leaving the fogger on 24/7, but keeping the heat/lights on cycles would produce the same results. So, stay the course, I guess...

+1! :lol: :tt2:
I have no idea what either of you are talking about... :unsure:

PeaceFoot.jpg

ive been having bb flies escape from my exoterra but i have been unable to determine how. im assuming they are escaping through the small gaps in the door sides. has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have you addressed it?

ive been having bb flies escape from my exoterra but i have been unable to determine how. im assuming they are escaping through the small gaps in the door sides. has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have you addressed it?
First, make sure you have the sliders at the rear of the screen in the closed position blocking the power cord holes.

Even when properly closed they still seem to find a way out by sneaking under the frame of the screen if it's not seated properly. My twig roof prevents a proper seal so I'm either going to stuff some foam weather stripping around the inside crack or trim the crossbeams so they don't interfere with the seal.

So far it really hasn't been a problem but it is annoying to find a few loose flies now and then.

I let a horde of spider loose to take care of the flies but they kept biting me so I lured crows and starlings in by spreading bread over the floor and leaving the windows open. Unfortunately all the bird poop is a real chore to clean up so I brought in a bunch of stray cats which drove my allergies crazy. I bought some rabid dogs online cheap to drive out the cats but now I'm stuck up here on top of the refrigerator with my laptop, sneezing, covered in bird poop and spider bites. I guess the flies weren't so bad. :(

First, make sure you have the sliders at the rear of the screen in the closed position blocking the power cord holes.

Even when properly closed they still seem to find a way out by sneaking under the frame of the screen if it's not seated properly. My twig roof prevents a proper seal so I'm either going to stuff some foam weather stripping around the inside crack or trim the crossbeams so they don't interfere with the seal.

So far it really hasn't been a problem but it is annoying to find a few loose flies now and then.

I let a horde of spider loose to take care of the flies but they kept biting me so I lured crows and starlings in by spreading bread over the floor and leaving the windows open. Unfortunately all the bird poop is a real chore to clean up so I brought in a bunch of stray cats which drove my allergies crazy. I bought some rabid dogs online cheap to drive out the cats but now I'm stuck up here on top of the refrigerator with my laptop, sneezing, covered in bird poop and spider bites. I guess the flies weren't so bad. :(
This seems a lot like overkill to me. Try this, instead. Put an inexpensive .vaporizer in your bug room, or anywhere else where you are troubled by flies. Fill it with gasoline and turn it on when you leave for work. On your return, light a match and enjoy a fly free evening.

This seems a lot like overkill to me. Try this, instead. Put an inexpensive .vaporizer in your bug room, or anywhere else where you are troubled by flies. Fill it with gasoline and turn it on when you leave for work. On your return, light a match and enjoy a fly free evening.
I don't know, Phil. I did just what you said but all it did was blow up my house. :(

:mellow: < Hey...

:unsure: < Wait a minute...

:blink: < There are no more flies!!!

:D < Thanx Phil!

I don't know, Phil. I did just what you said but all it did was blow up my house. :(

:mellow: < Hey...

:unsure: < Wait a minute...

:blink: < There are no more flies!!!

:D < Thanx Phil!
Silly boy, the fly problem could have been solved by buying a chameleon from me and free ranging it in your house...they love flys more then mantids do. :)

Harry

P.S. I just added 5 female L4 Ghosts to a exotera 12x12x12. I love what it looks like and they seem to love it too. Thanks for the ideas bro.