Texas Unicorns discussion thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kris Anderson Great, thanks for the post. I have been looking at your project data and have been finding it very useful already (and explains why I have never found a Mantis religiosa locally). ;)

@Kris Anderson Great, thanks for the post. I have been looking at your project data and have been finding it very useful already (and explains why I have never found a Mantis religiosa locally). ;)
No problem.  I lived in Terre Haute, IN for 14 years and I never came across Mantis religiosa one time in all of my field work in the state.  They are only found in the extreme northern portion of Indiana but could very well spread elsewhere over time. I suspect that competition from the endemic Stagmomantis carolina in addition to the significantly larger Tenodera sinensis has prevented Mantis religiosa from spreading into the likes of southern Indiana and most of the southeast. But this is always subject to change.  

I just booked my tickets for AZ trip at end of February! 

2 days hiking / hunting for Unicorns... All mapped out

Thanks guys... I'm excited. AZ has incredible back country, if nothing less hiking there is just spectacular!

(? Would make it better...)?

No problem.  I lived in Terre Haute, IN for 14 years and I never came across Mantis religiosa one time in all of my field work in the state.  They are only found in the extreme northern portion of Indiana but could very well spread elsewhere over time. I suspect that competition from the endemic Stagmomantis carolina in addition to the significantly larger Tenodera sinensis has prevented Mantis religiosa from spreading into the likes of southern Indiana and most of the southeast. But this is always subject to change.  
I bet you don't miss the paper mill smells or the cold then. ;) So far I haven't seen any in the seven surrounding counties, but next time my wife drags me up north to Lafayette or further I'll have to see what I can find up there (although it seems mainly the eastern portion of the state).

That was my conclusion of the lack of Mantis religiosa too, the much larger Tenodera sinensis; however, the similar sized Stagmomantis carolina is found everywhere around here. I've often witnessed both Tenodera sinensis and Stagmomantis carolina together in the wild, and even photographed them within a foot of each other on a tree.

I guess though the reason to explain it though is both Mantis religiosa and Tenodera sinensis were introduced species, while the Stagmomantis carolina was native and already established.

I just booked my tickets for AZ trip at end of February! 

2 days hiking / hunting for Unicorns... All mapped out
That is pretty fast on someone reporting a search. :) Hopefully it will be great trip, best of luck.
thumbs-up2.gif

I bet you don't miss the paper mill smells or the cold then. ;) So far I haven't seen any in the seven surrounding counties, but next time my wife drags me up north to Lafayette or further I'll have to see what I can find up there (although it seems mainly the eastern portion of the state).

That was my conclusion of the lack of Mantis religiosa too, the much larger Tenodera sinensis; however, the similar sized Stagmomantis carolina is found everywhere around here. I've often witnessed both Tenodera sinensis and Stagmomantis carolina together in the wild, and even photographed them within a foot of each other on a tree.

I guess though the reason to explain it though is both Mantis religiosa and Tenodera sinensis were introduced species, while the Stagmomantis carolina was native and already established.
Yeah, the stench and general weather conditions are some of the many reasons why I moved-- not to mention the super fun tornadoes, hail, and ice storms. I only got my car smashed once by a flying billboard during a super cell advancement so I consider myself lucky.  Concerning the native mantises, I have had similar observations as you.  I had T. sinensis and S. carolina in my own backyard together.  I kept T. sinensis for many years, feeding them tree frogs and large cicadas.  And I had several generations of S. carolina going as well.  My observations and field notes will all be documented within the months to come.   

Yeah, the stench and general weather conditions are some of the many reasons why I moved-- not to mention the super fun tornadoes, hail, and ice storms. I only got my car smashed once by a flying billboard during a super cell advancement so I consider myself lucky.  Concerning the native mantises, I have had similar observations as you.  I had T. sinensis and S. carolina in my own backyard together.  I kept T. sinensis for many years, feeding them tree frogs and large cicadas.  And I had several generations of S. carolina going as well.  My observations and field notes will all be documented within the months to come.   
Lol. Yeah I was trying to be polite; however, I guess back in 2008 the mills were finally ceased which would explain the last time I was there. :) The weather is a beast I guess, just use to it, and never seen a tornado to this day.

Interesting to hear of the two species together in your backyard as well. I guess for some members they get one or the other, so perhaps in time the larger T. sinensis takes over. Sounds good, I have been compiling my data for you but sad to say I have been rather slow at it (too many things in the way).

I think if we can ever get them started again we form some kind of breeder pact, lol. That way we know who has them and kinda work as a team to get them in culture. Texas unicorns are out there but im guessing they are hard to find like the T. graminis and scudders mantis we have here. To me they are the most interesting species in the US. The people that have difficulty rearing new off spring should take logs and share. What has me curious is it they need to be kept like B. Mendica, Hot and Dry. maybe even can do a small eco system in a 20 gallon tank to mimic their locale for breeding. Anyways this is starting to become some good stuff posted here, lets keep it going. Kinda like Idolomantis Consolidated.
I have been searching high and low for the AZ unicorn mantids. I don't breed or sell mantids, but this is the one species I'd like to fully dedicate myself to. I've read and watched everything I can find on them. All that's left is to finally find some nympths and/or ooths. Please share any updates about this charming, wonderful species :)  

Unfortunately like a lot of mantises availability is largely decided by if someone happens to be culturing them. Sadly our even more exotic looking natives tend to get passed up for other non-native exotics, when it comes to keeping species in culture. I had no problem getting this species a number of years back, but it has been ages since I've seen anyone really focusing on them. It is a real shame because the species is a real treat to own.
Otherwise just a hobbyist, the AZ unicorn mantis is the one species I'd like to dedicate myself to. They remind me of gentle, wide-eyed giraffes. I've loved them since the moment I saw them. The only problem: I've looked high and low for nympths and/or ooths without any luck. If you hear of anyone else who's had luck locating some, please let me know :)

(Pretty please, with a Unicorn on top)

Let me know if you manage to get a culture going as it is a species I would love to try again sometime. I sort of feel like it might be fun to get a thread going for those culturing/wanting to culture native species to chat/network in. Seems at times it is harder to get native species over a number of the exotics. I had such a hard time getting legit Stagmomantis carolina mantises. Most the people claiming to sell nymphs/oothecae of them actually had Tenodera angustipennis.
I'm right there with you. Count me in.

Latest posts