Thai micro crab (pic)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecooper

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of Thai micro crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) to photograph and add to my aquarium. These critters were really tiny and my aquarium is chock full of wood and plants. I knew that once I added the crabs I would be lucky to ever see them again; so I took the time to take photos first.

This is one of a series I posted on my blog (http://wp.me/p2wM8r-uB).

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11-22 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/4 power), ISO: 200

P8030207 thai micro crab copyright ernie cooper by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I also tried shooting a little video. I didn’t have very much light and had to shoot with the lens wide open, so the depth of field is really shallow. Only later did I realize that I should have increased the ISO so that I could have used a smaller aperture (and gained depth of field) (smacks head). Oh well, next time...

Cheers,

EC

www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Very cool. I'm into planted tanks and was thinking about getting these. There's another species in the hobby now called dwarf mud crabs. They're more rare though.

You'll see them around. They're fairly active. I got some back when they were first introduced to the hobby a few years back. I was hoping I could breed them, but no luck there. No luck for anybody else to this day I believe. Enjoyed having them though. I'll probably get more in the future.

Very cool. I'm into planted tanks and was thinking about getting these. There's another species in the hobby now called dwarf mud crabs. They're more rare though.
What are these dwarf mud crabs you speak of? They intrigue me.

Oh nevermind, I already caught tons of these dwarf mud crabs. Found them in Lake Whitney, Tx. They made good pets actually. Got along with river shrimp, and darters pretty well. They fight over the best hiding places though, and the bigger ones will eat freshly molted smaller crabs sometimes.

pretty cool, im headed to the coast next week in search for crabs and other interesting items.

Latest posts