That's my.....leg

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbox

Reaction score
I have been having a hard time catching flies around my area. I suspect the city sprayed something and that it affected my fly population which has been massive due to some strange berry dropping trees on my property. As such, today, I was desperate. Several small stink bug looking food items later, which mantids can't smell apparently, I found this lone grasshopper. I added him to a container but he jumped around too much. I put him in a bag and stunned him in the freezer. While taking him out with some 15 inch tweezers, his legs fell off. I really didn't mean to. They just come off easier after a quick freeze I guess. Anyway, again, being danger low on food items in my backyard (time to buy spikes for the first time) I'm not one to waste pieces of food either. If I catch a massive horsefly, which happens at least weekly on my porch, Ill divide it up amongst several mantids. After this mantis did not want the stunned hopper, I gave him a drumstick. It was then my wife came around the corner and looked at me as if I had stepped off a spaceship. She accused me of being evil for forcing the grasshopper to watch the mantis eat his own leg. I had not noticed but the hopper had come to and did appear to be watching the mantid eat his leg. (don't know if he knew it was his) :( She told me to let it go after traumatizing it so much. (I fed it to another mantis when she went away) And yea, the leg is kicking in the mantids grasp.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: I don't think that it cared about the leg after dropping it. I think they drop legs easily to escape from predators. Good that you didn't let it go, with no jumping legs, it would have surely been eaten by something else anyway.

I couldn't stop laughing at this picture! I LOVE IT!!!
laugh.gif

Hahahahah :lol: If short on food, order fly pupa instead. Spikes are gonna make you wait.

That was a good one, and I know just how she felt, I have done that before and it makes u feel like a heel! and U made Rick laugh, so u doing really good!
laugh.gif

glad everyone liked it.

Thanks for the advice. Pupae it is.

Not sure about the species. I left the grass around my garden untouched this year and I see them once and a while. There is another small katydid looking grasshopper that bites hard and then the occasional eastern lubber.

Has anybody ever fed the eastern lubber nymphs to mantids? When I see them, it's like jackpot. You always see them in little groups of a billion when they are little. Always been afraid to try. Bright color = gross or poison and they have fluorescent neon striping.

Eastern lubbers are toxic. I don't know how that affects mantids, but I wouldn't offer them.
Those are fine for mantis food. I find them here and they make excellent food. You can feed nearly any insect to a mantis. The few they can't eat they will know and drop.

Those are fine for mantis food. I find them here and they make excellent food. You can feed nearly any insect to a mantis. The few they can't eat they will know and drop.
That is good to know, those insects can be numerous when young. I guess I worry too much. The toxin must only work on some target predatory creatures.

That is good to know, those insects can be numerous when young. I guess I worry too much. The toxin must only work on some target predatory creatures.
Makes sense the defense may not target all creatures. I add hot pepper powders to my birdseed to keeps squirrels away. Birds can't taste pepper. Mammals do.

Makes sense the defense may not target all creatures. I add hot pepper powders to my birdseed to keeps squirrels away. Birds can't taste pepper. Mammals do.
I watched a show about the horned lizard that squirts blood from its eyes. The dude that was studying them said that he tasted the blood himself, and he didn't think it was any different from normal blood. That blood really bothers canines though. Maybe it is something like that.

I watched a show about the horned lizard that squirts blood from its eyes. The dude that was studying them said that he tasted the blood himself, and he didn't think it was any different from normal blood. That blood really bothers canines though. Maybe it is something like that.
I read that birds literally cant taste pepper. Their little tongues don't have the right receptors.

Latest posts