Time Between Molts for Orchid Nymphs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AikoAiko

Reaction score
What is the average time between molts for orchid nymphs kept at 80 degrees F and 80% humidity?

Here is a more detailed description of the conditions I keep my mantises in:

I have three orchid mantis nymphs. I keep them in individual plastic cups with damp moss at the bottom and a few sticks for climbing on. The lids have puched holes for ventilation and toilet paper taped inside to provide a better grip for the nymphs. I live in Colorado where the climate is very dry, so I mist at least once a day and sometimes twice if it is a hot dry day. It is quite hot outside right now, so I don't use a heat pad or lamp. The temperature in their cups fluctuates between 85 and 70 degrees F, with an average of 80F during the day inside my house. I feed the nymphs when they look hungry or thin. This usually amounts to several large fruit flies per nymph per day, but sometimes I feed every other day if they look particularly full. They were L2 when I recieved them and are now all L4. All of their sheds have been uneventful so far. All three nymphs seem to be healthy and alert, hanging upside down from their lids and stalking prey regularly.

However, it was only 9 days between L3 and L4. Is this normal?

P.S. I think all three are females. I will be looking for mates for them in several months when they mature. PM me if you are raising orchid nymphs in the US and might be potentially interested in swapping bugs for breeding purposes.

Sounds like Orchid heaven. Mine took about 12 days between early moults then incrasing for the last 2 to about 3-4 weeks.

My mantids normally shed once a week for L2 and up nymphs increasing in a day or two every molt.My ghost mantis stayed as subadult for 2 and a half weeks.

Sounds good. Be careful with the sticks in there. During molting they can pose a problem if in the way.

power feeding my females i got them from presubadult - adult in just over 1 month.

Latest posts