Two more to identify!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zana

Reaction score
I found the first one in the Canary Islands, the second in Madagascar...

L1040646.jpg

CIMG6115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one looks like an adult male blepharopsis mendica to me or Thistle mantis but the second I don't know.

The first one looks like... he's trying to think of a way to get you to feed your finger to him. Lazy insect :rolleyes: :lol:

I actually had no idea there were this many different mantis species, till I got on here, and still don't have any idea of the actual number of different species that have been identified so far.

Now if I can just train them to bring hot women home to daddy... ;)

The first one is Blepharopsis mendica. This was easy. The second one is not as easy. It's a Tisma species, maybe T. freyi, but this is merely a (good) guess.

Mantidforum needs its own identification section i reckon, should be good and interesting

Excellent finds! I love the thistle mantis, Blepharopsis mendica, and am looking to buy some of these myself. I have no idea what the second one is, however, but it is an amazing discovery! I would love to own a few of these myself. Are these the only individuals you found from each species? And how do you get to go all over and search for mantids? I saw that you found some in Panama, the Canary Islands, and Madagascar. Do you have a job that allows you to travel, or do you just travel on your own for this specific purpose?

Yes, the guess Tisma freyi is correct. Maybe found in Perinet? It is common there.

More pictures are here:

Terra Typica

Was bred in Europe (Germany) some years ago.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it in Ranomafana in Madagascar.

Yes, I am lucky enough to travel to photograph mantises! I don't collect them but just take their portraits in black and white and return them to where I found them. (These color snapshots are just for identification...)

I am working on a bug exhibition with large photographs, sound and film...but it will take me a few years.

If there are any collectors in the New York are who want their mantises photographed let me know!

Latest posts