Two questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollolloller

Reaction score
I feel dumb asking, cuz I'm really impatient when I have to wait for something I'm tremendously excited for. But, I have a sub-adult male ghost who is coming up on two weeks behind my female, and I have two Chinese ooths I'm trying to hatch.

So, question one: how can I make my male molt sooner so they will be ready to mate sooner? I've heard that mantids increase their growth and metabolism at higher temps and can molt sooner as a result, so what would be a good temp to get him there faster? I could put him near a heater vent which will warm him periodically through part of the day, but not all day and night. Only other place is my grow room which Idk how hot it gets exactly, but probably up to 85F.

Second question: can I slightly increase the temperature to make the Chinese ooths hatch sooner? The last ooths I had awhile ago hatched in, I think, under two weeks time on the water heater piping. They got pretty warm and dry (I don't think I ever misted them then) and I ended up cutting it open and all of a sudden a few squiggles started popping out. I think most died from the heat and no humidity, and from me cutting the thing open. Right now I'm trying to be patient waiting for the new ones to hatch at room temp. The first few days I actually had them I placed them in my grow room where it probably reached 95F or so at the time, and misted them once a day, before taking them out of that room.

Also, is there a way to check the progress of an ooth? I've heard about using a flashlight to find the eyes, which I cannot see yet.

Sorry to be so impatient, I get overly excited and can't wait for these sorta things. The more mantids I have on hand, the more I have to keep me occupied until the next hatch, so I'll be much better when I get my numbers up and have enough babies to keep me busy, instead of wor ring and waiting.

85 may be a bit too high, I usually go for 80 max for non arid species, and 95 will fry the unborn mantids, keep at room temperature and they will hatch fine. That species has oothecae that are too thick to use the candling method with :p

Thank you for your input. Tomorrow I'm gonna go buy a thermometer and humidity gauge to place in there so I Dan get an exact reading. Only then will I know for sure.

I shined my phone light through it in several places at different angles. Though I didn't see anything inside, I do believe I could see about 60-80% of the inside, only really missing the center. Maybe they're still early in development.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts