Water droplets and my first molt.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarstorm

Reaction score
This morning greeted me with a treat. As I yawned and squinted my sleep riddled, crusty eyes at my popa spurca nymphs, I was shocked to see a mantis clinging to the side of the container that was significantly larger than I remembered. As the cobwebs of sleep faded, I noticed a near perfectly formed shell clinging near the top of the container -- ah hah! -- the nymph molted overnight! I let her relax for several hours and her only disturbance was when I lightly misted her enclosure with lukewarm distilled water. [Full newbie mantid owner disclaimer: I haven't confirmed gender yet, we'll call it a she for now.]

The evening greeted me with something even better. About twelve hours after I first noticed the molted mantis, i decided to gently hold her. She had moved a couple of times throughout the day and was now clinging to a wooden dowel that runs from floor to ceiling. I slowly removed the wooden pole and she came up with it. I offered my palm. She tentatively stepped out, slowly extending one feathered tip of her raptorial leg's tarsus to my skin and then rapidly withdrew -- as if my palm was a hot stove! She repeated this gesture a few times before leaning onto me.

After she peered around and surveyed her surroundings a moment, she started grooming. After smiling and watching her a moment, I reached for the small spray bottle with the distilled water. I misted the air several feet above her and waited to see how she would respond. To my surprised delight, she immediately halted her grooming, pressed her face to my palm and started drinking the water droplets on my skin! The sensation was barely noticeable and after she finished the miniscule amount on my hand, I pressed the tip of the spray bottle against my hand and gently squeezed a very small droplet near her. Like a parched sailor finding an oasis of clear water (or a college kid at their first kegger), she plunged face-first into the small pool!

My first molt and that drink will always be memorable. But the day didn't stop there, as in the early afternoon I was able to witness a creo molt for several hours. It wasn't easy and had a spooky moment or two but a male creo now has their wings. I've left him alone thus far but look forward to seeing if he wants to stretch his wings tomorrow or this weekend!

Here's to molts, mantids, and memories.

Adam

Good for you Adam, and your mantids. You are getting more hooked dude. The more you see, the more you enjoy. Welcome to the "hooked on mantids" club. It is facinating.

Rich

my popa just after a molt drank off my hand today, small world! what was your mantis molting into?

I had a similar experience before bed last night. Just as I walked in, I saw my b mendica come out of her exoskeleton (good timing). It was a first for me. It is amazing to behold. They grow up so fast! :lol:

Latest posts