Well I'll Be. . .

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladygigi

Reaction score
I got 2 surprises yesterday, both of which kind of took me for a loop! :stuart:

First I was checking in the terrarium to see if I could find a small cricket to try feeding one of my L3's. I have several from the first hatch that have now molted to this point and one of them is rather aggressive, so I'm thinking he could probably handle one of these little itty bitty crickets I have that's hatched inside my terrarium. Well, I couldn't find any, but lo and behold, what do I find? A late bloomer. One lone little 1st Instar that hatched within the previous 24 hours! I not only kinda freaked, but thought to myself, when the heck are these guys gonna stop coming??? I'm only up to 30 of the damn things!!! :eek: I mean, isn't enough, enough??? How many on average do Iris Oratorias usually hatch per ooth? Anyone know?

But that wasn't enough surprises for the day. I realized I had left the terrarium open that I had been housing Skittles in, so I thought (again to myself), that I'd better close it with my luck of getting strange things coming up hatching around me. ^_^ I'd never know what might go in there and decide to make itself a little nest during the night or something and then split. God only knows what creature he might bless me with next. LOL :lol: So, I go over there and reach to close it and had to shake my head and look twice to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing. Then I pinched myself before I looked again. :pinch: SKITTLES! The little twit came home! He liked it in there so much he came back! I'm thinking of changing his name to Houdini, seems more appropriate. :clown: Or, I'm open to suggestions. I mean c'mon, a mantis like that just doesn't come along very often. . . :wub:

P.S. Maybe I'll see if he's up to letting me take some more pics of him since we still really haven't identified him yet. I just need to figure out how to get him out without him getting so excited!

Wow! I'm glad Skittles came back. Be careful when you take him out for pictures! :tt2:

He may be leaving on your back! found an Asian in the fruit fly room the other day just hanging around, u know it is funny, they always seem to be somewhere where u will see them to rescue them, whereas a spider or cricket or beetle will hide, but not stowaway mantis, they like to be found!

I'm glad Skittles came back to you!! Skittles is definitely becoming one of those mantises with great stories to share!

And hey, if you've got more Iris babies than you can handle, I'd be happy to take some off your hands!

Didn't see this before posting in your other thread (it was marked as read for some reason...) Glad you got him back! :D That's really cool that he went straight home, haha!

I'm glad Skittles came back to you!! Skittles is definitely becoming one of those mantises with great stories to share!

And hey, if you've got more Iris babies than you can handle, I'd be happy to take some off your hands!
Send me a private message if your serious about wanting some and we may be able to work something out. ;)

Didn't see this before posting in your other thread (it was marked as read for some reason...) Glad you got him back! :D That's really cool that he went straight home, haha!
No kidding huh?! I was so shocked! (I think he's just lazy and likes having his food brought to him so he doesn't have to work at finding it! ;) )

No kidding huh?! I was so shocked! (I think he's just lazy and likes having his food brought to him so he doesn't have to work at finding it! ;) )
Hey, whatever works, right? :D And that's the basis for some human couples I know as well... :lol:

Just kidding...

Last edited by a moderator: